Depression and anxiety are on the rise. Authentic community is almost non-existent. We pull into our garages only to close them before even unbuckling our seat belts –– it's as if we're actually trying to eliminate the possibility of talking to our neighbors. Then we enter our homes only to be entertained by screens while we ignore the reality that our lives are 5,000 miles wide but only an inch deep.

I started this blog to make people happy. To provide more meaning, joy, and purpose. But my efforts are in vain if we cannot grasp this video's simple concept.

How did this video make you feel? What simple step can you take to move in the right direction? Let me know your ideas in the comments below.

77 thoughts on “The #1 Cause of Loneliness. And How To Destroy It.

1. Guy says:

Certainly made me assess my smartphone use. Straight after I was walking to the shops and got my phone out for no reason, a terrible habit of mine. So I locked it and put it back in my pocket, first step to change!

It’s a terrible habit of mine too, brother. First step is always the biggest one!

2. priya says:

That’s actually true.. We are so busy in the gadgets around us . Due to which we ignore every beautiful thing that may make difference to our lives. Just try it once if you don’t believe it, I did it. I switched off my mobile for an entire day,then only I realized that I can live without it and can do more fruitful things then just looking at it every minute.

Totally! It’s amazing what we miss when we aren’t being present where we are.

3. Amber says:

Great video that will be shared (on FB, of all things!). Hey, it’s the only place for everyone to see it. haha! I “unplugged” for several months from all aspects of social media and it was interesting to see how many people thought I “un-friended” them!! Only two of my friends called to see what was up because other friends were calling them to see if everything was okay with me. Some friends, huh? Neither my husband nor I have smart or iphones. We discuss how much technology has robbed our kids (and adults) of LIFE and has given a false sense of reality. We have a teen that purchased her own smart phone and her dad pays for the service because we won’t. Such old fashioned fuddy duddy’s!

4. Maria Eddy Cesario says:

Amazing video. I’ve just disconnected from Facebook & got back to my card making. Hey, the sky is blue, & there’s a lot of stray cats @ the park!

5. Jo Villarreal says:

I love it! I guess being old fashion isn’t too bad after all. My poor kids are technology deprived. I removed myself from Facebook only to step away from my phone an computer to watch the true beauty of life…. the growth of my kids and the feeling I get when my husband tells me he loves me to my face and not a bright screen.

6. Danielle Borer says:

I loved the video! It’s a great reminder to put away the cell phone and everything else and have a conversation. I will put away my phone more and write down the directions I places I need to go. I like the points he makes in this.

7. jgsilber says:

So glad I watcheed this on my smartphone on the train to work surrounded by other people doing the same. I’ll do the same tomorrow; maybe I’ll get more useful information that way!!

8. akzo says:

So true!!! I have just deactivated my internet pack but switched on my laptop to read your blog…we are so lost in our gadgets that we are missing on to the real things in life which is making us more lonely and depressed. I hope deactivating the internet pack in my phone will save me from checking all facebook and instagram updates before going to bed which gives me a headache at night but i still don’t stop checking it daily. M glad i read today’s post !

I’m the same way. It’s definitely not easy disconnecting, but I’m always glad when I do!

9. Chelsey says:

Wow, this is so incredibly true! My phone was recently stolen and although I was upset about all my lost pictures and phone numbers, I felt strangely relieved that I didn’t have to carry it around anymore. I know for a fact that I’ll have to get a new one soon, but I’m going to enjoy this time away from my phone, and when I do get a new phone I’m going to try and make it a habit to put it down more often.

10. NorthPair says:

This video made me think of my 76 yr old Mom, who sits in her house, on the internet and communicates only by forwarding useless emails. Sharing only her physical ailments and lame dog stories. Not even a simple question to others about what’s new, what’s been happening, what have you been up to. She doesn’t engage, no plans, no invitations, no entertaining, no time spent with her 6 grandchildren. Just Facebook and email. Look up, Mom. Life’s nearly over and you’re alone.

11. Ember says:

I completely agree with this. I however do not have a Facebook nor any type of social media. I guess I have a Twitter but I have never tweeted lol. But I face this problem everyday with my friends. I’m there to hang out with them and they are on their phone talking to other people. So why am I even there? I look around at a restaurant and see couples or friends on their phones not even talking to one another. How rude!!! And whats the point? My friends children use technology more than they go outside and play. Its obvious why the younger generations have social issues as well as weight problems. Of course I use the internet and text but if I’m with someone I try to show them my complete attention and expect the same. Do you realize what you’re missing out on looking down all the time?

• Emma says:

Ember, you took the words right out of my mouth! I can’t have a conversation with my daughters-in-law unless I text them. When we get together as family, they are on the phone. I find it rude, and any attempt to have a meaningful conversation is futile! I, too, am lonely for a good conversation, good eye contact, being in the moment. I am middle aged, and several years I treated a group of friends to pizza and brew at a Pizza parlor. We sat close to a TV, and I literally had to stand up in my chair and ask my friends not to watch TV, let’s spend time together and be present to each other. We all laughed and had a great time, but I, too, find that I literally have to turn off my TV if I am going to be present to someone. Thanks for the post! ~M~

Emma, show them this video! 🙂 Glad you were inspired! Change definitely needs to be made!

Absolutely! And I’m definitely guilty of this as well, but seeing a video like this helps me realize how MUCH I am missing. We just need to be more aware and take steps to connect with the people right in front of us!

12. Joy says:

I love this video and I will be sharing it. I have preached this to my 4 children on many occasions. Although the technology is still there my kids have become a lot better with being in the moment “Be Here Now”, and can carry on face to face conversations even with strangers. But there are times when even I have to remember to step back and practice what I preach. Thanks for being my reminder!

Yes definitely! It’s so easy to get sucked right back in, especially if it’s going on around you. Be that person to call everyone out! 😉

13. Kim says:

Great video! Glad I took the time to watch! My family is big video game participants – but lately I’ve been demanding that my 15yo son and husband come sit at the dinner table for 15minutes of real conversation – they grumble – but come, for my sake. Those 15minutes are priceless!

They will grow up and look back and cherish that time you all spent together!

Yeah, I really enjoyed the poetry as well – it really hit the nail on the head!

14. Bernadette says:

I couldn’t agree more! I went to a restaurant today full of couples on their phones. Sitting opposite each other, not talking just texting and checking their Facebook no doubt! Things have gone too far now and it makes me sad. I loved this video and it really made me think about the world we have become. I always “look up”……..I am 53 so I don’t have a phone permanently attached to my hand but my sons do so I am going to make them watch this video and I hope it makes them think. Life is so precious and we should take more care to appreciate the moment we are in with the person we are with. Inspiring.

Definitely, share away! 🙂 It definitely inspires me to “be where I am”.

15. Paula says:

I would love to share this video with my middle school students, but I’m unable to because of one word: bastard. I wish people would keep that sort of thing in mind, particularly when the message they share is inspiring.

Dang! Maybe you’re able to mute it for just that one second? It’s got such an incredible message. Good luck!

16. Linda Fitzpatrick McClellan says:

Thank you so much for the video. I had just gotten up from the computer and left the room and came back and watched it. But the thing is while I was away I saw all the books, paperwork to do and remembered I was going to clean the kitchen and do the floors, clothes are still in the basket unfolded from two days ago, dishwasher needed emptying 2 days ago, boxes in a room to get rid of some books, still plants to be potted and I need to call my daughter. And here I sit at the computer just like last night till midnight. I used to always take a book with me when I went anywhere and still do but end up on my phone checking email. So, I’m going to get off and start doing some things. And I love to read so instead of staring at a phone I’ll read a book..and I’ve been bored with FB for months now. I really needed to watch that, and I shared it too on Twitter and FB so my friends can have an AHA moment too….life is too short to waste it sitting in front of a screen. Thanks again, you opened my eyes.

Haha Linda, I know! Even when I’m bored online I still scroll for some reason. It’s become such an automatic, and it needs to be nipped in the bud. Plus, I’m also guilty of procrastination because I get caught up in social media. You’re not alone! Let’s band together. 😉

17. anon says:

i’m preparing to bring a life into this world and I intend to never text or use computers recreationally in front of my child. I already have given up texting and have never had a Facebook. It can be done. Some of us will live differently.

Wow, I love this Anon! Challenging society to go beyond the norm for the sake of our children. Love, love it.

18. Rebecca says:

Thank you so much. We have given up the tv and life began to be a bit more productive but still depend on our smart phones, tablets and computers way too much. I am lonely in ways….. time to change. Thank you Linda – I hear you too.

Definitely. Our society lacks community and it’s largely due to technology. What a blessing and a curse, eh? Thanks for sharing, Rebecca!

19. Deb says:

The affirmation I needed to stay committed to my life and disconnected from media. They are tools… Intended use for a specific time… Humanity needs to connect with humans. Spectacular video, excellent poetry, and a life changing message.

20. Paulette Constable says:

Thank you. Have reposted (which seems a bit ridiculous given the message of the film) but hopefully the message will get across positively. 🙂

Haha I know what you mean! But online is where most people will see it, and hopefully be inspired to change like you and I.

21. Kathleen says:

Wow! Soo true! Saw a quote by Einstein that stated technology would create a generation of idiots!

22. Christie says:

Thank you so much for this awesome video. Refreshing reminder of life away from the screen

Definitely! Life does exist away from the screens, it’s just so easy to forget.

23. jess says:

Love this video. Ironically I don’t post usually on these things. It touched close to home, even though I’m barely on my phone like I used to be. It does make you sad seeing that honestly no one is there for you. I haven’t had a Facebook for over 3 years now and believe me, you know who your real friends are. Or you get this conversation “oh I posted it on Facebook, I forget you don’t have one, you don’t know what’s going on in my life” this is where I say, you could have called or told me about it when you saw me last. Its sad who I call friends say this to me from time to time. Time to show them this video. Thanks so much for posting. 🙂

24. Jess Parker says:

Brilliant. Love it. I’ve been going through a period of Looking Up, and it put all my feelings into words. My world had become so narrow and I couldn’t just sit and wait… without reaching for my phone… so much was going by unnoticed, including my increasing social isolation.

25. OHaiTher says:

Woah… I didn’t realise the situation was that bad…. Waoh. Imma share this!!! Thank you, it’ll do lots of good 😛

26. talia says:

I go to friends houses and I go to the bar, everyone sit on their phones. So, I stopped going out mostly. I try to never be online when at a friends and I’m never online when out. I spent so much time face booking and tweeting all week I had to get rid of my Internet on week days. It actually worked out really well. I have so much time, still getting the odd text, alot of calls. not much in means of social media but I love it.

27. Ashley says:

This is so true, I actually deleted my Facebook about a year and a half ago and at first it felt a little odd, I felt like I was out of the loop…but once everyone knew that I didn’t have one we actually started to communicate more. I don’t have any other pages such as twitter or Instagram…..I just feel like…Why should I spend time on the computer looking at what other people are doing when I could be out making memories of my own.

28. Joe says:

This is awesome. More people need to watch this. I think this could really help our generation

29. fran says:

I watched this video and it made me realise just how much we have given the next generation without realising the impact of what we have done. We have given you technology to communicate asynchronously! you never have to interact directly with anyone . and that is so sad. You arrange meetings at the last minute, no planning, no anticipation, no fore-thought is necessary.email, texting all very impersonal. If your friends don’t turn up is it because they don’t want to , they miss your last minute text, can’t be bothered to get up out of their comfy sofa and bother to travel to meet. From my perspective its scary. This generation has been denied the opportunity to move beyond sound-bites, instant action. Half the fun of meeting with friends is the anticipation and we have given you the means to remove that from your options. I would urge everyone to call, talk, laugh and cry in real time, not using social media as a buffer.

30. Em says:

So essentially, get off Facebook? I haven’t had Facebook for a while now (I’m in my mid twenties) and I’m much happier not having the pressure of ‘socialising’ online. It’s just a shame that the stigma attached to not having it is there even though no one really uses it for what it was originally intended for. I only really use image based platforms because I’m a creative, so pinterest, tumblr and insta, and this allows me to share my creativity and work.