Ric Elias was a father, husband, and business man in South Carolina. He was born and raised in Puerto Rico, hustled his way to the top of his class, and even graduated from Harvard Business School.

Ric never had an issue with flying; he had to do it quite often with his line of work. But on January 2009, he sat in the first row of the flight 1549––the infamous Hudson River crash. Thoughts swirled through his head.

Wow… dying is not scary. It was just very sad.

While he survived this traumatic event, it was only then when his perspective on life was changed. In this beautiful five minute TED Talk, you’ll witness an authentic response to his life-changing moment.

As business owners, starters, and entrepreneurs we often lose track of what truly matters. We focus on the game and the strategy to win. We’re never present and our priorities can end up in dissaray. Let’s not rely on moments of trauma to recognize what matters. Let’s open our eyes now. Let’s be successful at home and at work. Let’s be rockstar parents and CEOs. Let’s win the real competition… To live a life of purpose.

If you were to die in one hour, what would you regret? Let me know in the comments below.

Dale Partridge

Some know me as a serial entrepreneur and Founder of Sevenly and StartupCamp, others know me as the guy who can ride a unicycle and still kickflip on a skateboard. I’m on a mission to inspire people. Will you join me?

New in The Daily Positive Shop

30 thoughts on “3 Things I Learned While My Plane Crashed

1. Danielle Borer says:

If I died in one hour, I would regret not taking more risks. Whether that be finically, relationally, or anything. That’s what I would regret.

2. Tobeys trashortreasure says:

If I died in an hour I would regret not watching my grandchildren grow into the amazing adults I know they will become.

That’s definitely understandable! If this is something you can fix you definitely should! Life is too short not to spend it with the people you love.

3. percy salguero says:

I would regret not change my acttitude earlier but I hope there is time to become a better person and help others. Here I go!!!! Im unstoppable!!!!

4. Libertad Leal says:

Wow, thanks for sharing that. It moved me to tears. I would regret all those times I was’t fully present, the times I raised my voice, the wasted time focusing on things that really don’t matter. In short I would very much regret not being the best parent I can be. Thanks again, love your site.

Most definitely. Be sure to give yourself grace too – I’m sure your kids appreciate the parent you are! Nothing wrong with always striving to be better too πŸ™‚

5. Cynthia Teffer says:

I would regret that I didn’t forgive someone or tell someone that I loved or cared for them.

6. Jim says:

Why do we have to be “rock star patents and CEOs”? This is the problem with America. People are obsessed with being at the top (rock star, CEO). For a topic which purports to be about learning what matters, I’d say the guy doesn’t get it.

• jeremy says:

I think its talking about living a life of purpose whether your purpose or goal could be God,being rockstar parents ,and not to lose sight of this goal while we are on the journey. We all have our own dreams dont we?

• jeremy says:

7. SharonOneK says:

I would regret not giving myself that opportunity to explore life and what is around me

8. md gazali says:

I will love it simply not because sadness or anything else just because it is a wonderful end of a beautiful life. I will live that last hour on a happy note

9. LauraIsFrench says:

I am so lucky to have faced a life threatening illness. I call it the strangest gift I ever got. It reminds me often of what I want to do if (seriously, “IF”?) my remaining time is short. How lucky that Ric got this same gift. As for me, I have done (and continue to do) so many things to live right – including working on my relationships with my family and God and people I meet daily.

10. Gabby says:

I usually enjoy readying your posts, but I couldn’t read this one. Not because of the topic, but because it had a huge ad with the most disgusting fungus-infested, yellow, crusty, mummy-like toe nails right next to the first paragraph. I couldn’t stand to have it even in my periphery. I get you have to make a living, but it’s so strange to see these completely random ads on pages meant to inspire.

• Stephanie Walters says:

This is due to programatic advertising. Its the latest bloody craze and I am totally with you that so many times it just doesnt fit. Yet publishers allow it as it is a constant income from advertisers no matter how dodge they are.

11. Waleed A.kawi Saleh says:

wow .. This guy only used 5 minutes of the 16 minutes allowed on TED talk and he used them perfectly. I’m glad he shared his experiences of getting so closed to death.
    By the way, we just had our TEDxSanaa event couple of nights ago πŸ™‚
    And Dale .. I’m not answering your question .. Only thinking about it scares the hell out of me :/

12. Lise Richard says:

No regrets ever!
    I feel i have lived my life to it’s fullest moment every day in the ways that I could.

Never regret – your path brought you here.

Death isn’t sad – it’s inevitable. Don’t fear it, don’t wish it won’t come to you. Just LIVE and LOVE and you’ll be riding that plane as it drops smiling (even if you have children.. because you’ll know you’ve taught them to do the same…and they will)