Martin Luther King, Jr., John Muir, Nelson Mandela, Cesar Chavez… All famous men who fought for cause and battled against injustice and oppression, they defended the weak and ultimately changed the course of history.

My question to you is this, “What men would you add to this list? Who has changed your life? Who has inspired you to fight for the things that matter?”

Of all things which can make a man noble, honorable, and brave, here are my 4 signs of a man worth following…

1. He has a good name in the community.

The word “elder” in the Hebrew actually means “he with the longest standing good name”. He has a track record of wise decisions that demonstrate a care for others. To have a good name in a community requires that a person actually care for his community, city, and ultimately, his world. Like his counterpart, the woman worth following, he’s not a narcissist, always talking about himself. No, he’s a man who reflects on his community and acts solely for its good.

2. He honors his word.

He does what he says and says what he does. In other words, when he says he’s gonna show, he’ll show. You can count on his promises. He doesn’t make empty commitments or false statements. A man worth following has follow through. When he honors his word, he honors others above himself. The fact that he shows up, shows he cares.

3. He has a lion heart.

What I mean is this: he’s got courage. And tons of it. This doesn’t mean that he’s superhuman or fearless. What man on earth lives without fear? But he acts in spite of his fear. He follows the motto “be strong and courageous” while going into the unknown or into dangerous situations. Fear or judgement does not stop him. Worry doesn’t eclipse his dreams or plans. A man worth following conquers fear with his faith and moves forward in spite of it. When he does this, he showcases his love for people, and makes him even more worthy of leadership.

4. He’s marked by humility.

A man worth following is marked not by scars from physical battles or moral failures, but by humility – a sense that he is nothing more than a mere man. He knows he’s only made of dust. This gives him perspective. He lives in light of the fact that life on earth is temporary, fragile, and precious. A man worth following is quick to admit faults. He knows when he’s broken, lost, or wrong and he discusses it with others. He's vulnerable, transparent, and real. He doesn’t think he’s better than he is or better than others. A man worth following recognizes that everything he has – his looks, talents, family, possessions – have been given to him and that one day, will be given back. This causes him to be marked by humility, not pride.

What signs would you add to the list?

18 thoughts on “4 Signs of a Man Worth Following

1. ronell1984 says:

Thank you Dale. I love your blog (and Sevenly!). This post is excellent. I am a Christian woman who is figuring out what kind of man I want to pursue and capture my heart and this post has really helped to do that! Thank you. Ronell

That’s amazing Ronell! I’m glad I could help πŸ™‚

“Sent from my amazing iPhone!”.

People Matter.

Dale Partridge
      Founder & Chief World Changer

E. dale@sevenly.org
      W. http://www.sevenly.org
      T. twitter.com/dalepartridge
      I. Instagram: @dalepartridge
      ————————————————————————– Get Social: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ————————————————————————–
      Mailing Address
      270 E. Baker St.
      Costa Mesa CA 92626

2. venera says:

I would add my father to this list. He has all of the above 4 signs, I felt like it’s describing him, I am very proud of him, love him so much !

3. Carol says:

I would add #5. A man would give all his love to the woman he has chosen to spend his life with. Appreciating her as a wonderful addition to his life. Eager to share his hopes, his dreams, his diss appointments , and his fears. Knowing that he has safety in her presence. A man strong enough to show weakness, and smart enough to know he does not have all the answers, and to seek council from others.

4. iFloi says:

Although there are hints of faith in the article, I wish there was a 5th sign – “He is a man of godly faith.”

Personally, I follow someone who has changed my life completely. I follow Jesus Christ simply because He is Lord. Philippians 2:5-11 says:

“In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to deathβ€” even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

100% Agree. As you know, I am a Christian but I try to keep my content not overly “super Christian” as I call it. But you are correct. Thanks for the feedback πŸ™‚

• Ordelog says:

You have a point. Some people might be scared off if you started quoting scripture for every point you make. However, what you might be interested in doing is makig sure that your posts line up with biblical teaching.
        For instance, your first point says that the “man worth following” would act solely for the good of the community. That isn’t how Jesus acted. He made personal relationships with people and sacrificed his time and energy yes to teach and heal many, but also to get to know individuals and tell them what they personally needed to draw nearer to God. Jesus isn’t a communal leader, he’s a personal one.
        And while it isn’t best to quote everything from the Bible, you shouldn’t be afraid to mention Jesus in your list of men worth following. If you’re ashamed of him in front of people, he’ll be ashamed of you in front of the Father.

• Reba V says:

Amen! If we deny Jesus before men, He will deny us before God. Speak God’s word in faith Dale. Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes…” God will reward your efforts to speak the truth in His Love.

5. Matt says:

A prime example of someone who read the title and scrolled to the comments section to express out rage
    VVVV

6. coachbyron says:

Thanks for the post Dale. I am truly enjoying your thoughtful words of wisdom. I would add: A man worth following is a man who produces leaders. He’s a person with the track record of launching others into their calling and releasing others to lead beyond his circle of influence.

7. Rhonda Michelle says:

I had never heard of John Muir. I’m glad you gave him a spot on your list. Read up on him a little and he seems to have been an adventurous man with interesting stories to tell. (Hence the authored books.) I’d add him to my Coffee and Conversations list. Chuck Colson is a man that comes to mind when I think of who else embodies the four signs. Great article.

8. Jay Henderson says:

funny how soon people forget the nelson mandella was a communist dictator that killed many people in his rise to power. the liberals have done a good job brain washing the sheeple