The 6 Rs Formula for Dealing with Difficult People
- REALIZE – realize what you value, what you need, what you will and won't accept (boundaries!), as well as what you can and cannot change.
- RELEASE – release any tendency to try to “control” the other person, expectations you might have of them to be your preferred ideal, and releasing emotions that may be preventing you from being calm and effective in your interactions and communication.
- RELAY – relay to the difficult person or people the relevant information, issues, needs, boundaries and solutions to help them understand and to get you on the “same page”.
- REMEDY – remedy where possible with “healing efforts” to create the change, bond, and better relationship you prefer.
- REDUCE – reducing exposure if necessary such as less frequent contact, shorter duration contact, different types of contact, all to respect your boundaries.
- REMOVE – removing yourself from interaction where necessary, from the room, from the entire location, from the relationship entirely if necessary in order to caretake your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.
Related Resources for Dealing with Difficult People
- How to Deal with Difficult Family Members
- How to Have a Difficult Conversation
- How to Communicate When You're Frustrated or Angry with Someone
- The Communicate Code – Training in our EvolveHQ membership
- EFT/Tapping for Releasing Stress & Other Difficult Feelings