I don’t care what you do or what you own.

I just want to know who you are.

I want to know your uniqueness, the experiences you’ve had and the learning you’ve gained.

I want to know your story.

7 Billion Stories in the World

What's your story? Everyone has one. No two stories are the same. There are over 7 billion people in this world and none are like you. You are unique. Your entire life journey including your upbringing, challenges, your hard learned lessons, your experiences, achievements and gifts, are all a series of footprints that have brought you to this very moment in time as you read these words.

Every person you walk or drive past on the street has their own story. Every person in front of you in line at the grocery store has their own story. Every friend and work colleague in your life has their own story.

The old man who lives up the street and wanders past my house each day has his own story. The girl on the bus sitting opposite me right now who has tears in her eyes, she has her own story. The boy in the library who never stops laughing, even when his mother constantly asks him to be quiet, he has his own story too.

Think about the millions of moments, the series of events that leads each person to cross your path. Who are they really underneath that exterior? Where did they come from? What do they long for? What makes them tick?

Will you ask?

Life is a tapestry of people weaving in and out of your life, people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Everyone has something to offer and share with you. Imagine treating every person you encounter, no matter how fleeting, as an intriguing story waiting to be told.

But the story can only be told if someone asks to hear it. Will you ask?

That person you see standing before you, no matter who they are, young or old, rich or poor, angry or kind, is like a blockbuster movie ready to enthrall you. But, first you have to buy a ticket.

Cocktail Conversations

As I stood in a room full of people at a cocktail party once, I realized that every opening conversation was dominated by this question, “What do you do?”

We seek to understand and define people by their ‘doing’ in the world. For some reason we categorize and rank people’s worth in this world by what they “do.”

Does what you do matter more than who you are? No. What you do is only a small part of who you are.

Do we care about each other enough, and are we interested enough in what we can learn from each other, to stop asking “What do you do?” and start asking “Who are you? What's your story?”

So, I’d love to ask you something, and I’m not asking a rhetorical question. I really want to know…

What's your story?

1. Where were you born?
  2. Where do you live now?
  3. What makes you smile?
  4. What is the most important life lesson you’ve learned so far?
  5. What is your deepest fear?
  6. What is your greatest dream for your life?
  7. Who are you?

Normalizing the Question

There is only one way that we can normalize this “What's your story?” question in our society. And that is by starting to ask it, and by each of us individually being willing to answer it wholeheartedly, knowing that the person asking it genuinely wants to know.

Superficial chit chat about what we “do” and what we “own” doesn’t have to dominate our interactions with those closest to us or with complete strangers.

I don’t know you at all. You’re a complete stranger to me. But I genuinely want to know your answers.

I’ll go first…

Here’s my story. I invite you to respond with your answers in the comments section below, supporting a movement to normalize caring more about who people are, than what they do and own.

1. I was born in Wellington, New Zealand.
  2. I have no “official” fixed abode, as I sold my house and all my possessions in order to live nomadically.
  3. My nephews and nieces playing and loudly laughing their little hearts out is what makes me smile the most.
  4. The best lesson I’ve learned so far is that being exactly who I am is always more than enough, and comparing myself to others only robs the world of my uniqueness.
  5. My deepest fear is risking everything to follow my dream and then failing in the process.
  6. My greatest dream for my life is to move with an open mind, traveling and meeting as many people as possible, questioning and discovering as much about the world and life as I can, and continuing to share those learning.
  7. I’m a spark of divinity, here having a life experience, as I believe we all are.

Your turn… what's your story? Leave a comment below to share a piece of who you are with the world.

With love, Bernadette

Related Resources

48 thoughts on “What’s Your Story?

1. Guy says:

1. I was born in Phoenix, AZ
    2. I now live in a suburb outside of Phoenix – Mesa, AZ
    3. My Grandchildren make me smile when they are busy being their authentic selves.
    4. What is the most important life lesson you’ve learned so far? The most important lesson I have learned so far is that most of what I have feared has been a figment of my imagination.
    5. My biggest fear is that I did not measure up to my own expectations or that I did not meet the expectations of others. That I somehow failed others or let myself down while busy being me.
    6. I dream of having unlimited freedom to think and be and live in this world while discovering new adventures and sharing my newfound enjoyment of life with others.
    7. I am a soul on earth learning lessons while experiencing this life journey.

• Minu says:

1. I was born in Bangalore, India.
      2. I am happily divorced, so I’m living with my mother.
      3. Watching the Indian cricket team win a match that the whole world thought they will lose…makes me smile and sometimes shed tears of joy 🙂
      4. My greatest life lesson is the fact that we are always going have to let go of things and people we love. The beauty lies in letting go gracefully.
      5. My biggest fear is letting fear guide my life decisions.
      6. I’ve always dreamt of visiting Egypt, the land of the pyramids… a Nile Cruise!
      7. I’m simply a speck of the universe serving a tiny but significant purpose of the Divine

• Bernadette Logue says:

Minu! I loved reading this, and just wanted to thank you as the “letting go gracefully” is something I needed to be reminded of today regarding losing those we love. A timely life lesson, so thank you for sharing. B 🙂

2. Lisa says:

1.I was born in London.
    2. I now live in Elimbah, between Brisbane and the sunshine coast, Australia.
    3. My kids make me smile the most. Also, making beautiful things and making music.
    4. I’ve learnt I don’t need other people’s approval – this is my life.
    5. My deepest fear is that I’ll let my other fears hold me back from living my life fully. (Ha! This is good for me)
    6. My dream, when you strip it back to the bone, is freedom. To be, to express myself, to collaborate and be part of amazing creativity, to be free of fear – or at peace with it.
    7. I am a student of life.
    This is great stuff to think about – imagine if we asked each other these questions in daily life…

3. Sarah says:

1.I was born in Cape Coral, Florida
    2.I live on a small farm in Olathe, Colorado
    3.My kids,my hubby,animals, flowers/nature,the stars and the moon all make me smile.
    4. I have learned that the only person responsible for my happiness is myself.
    5.My deepest fear is that I will continue to unconsciously (or even consciously ) self destroy myself and never be able to face my fears or get the life that I want.
    6.My dream is to learn my soul lesson (which is confidence ) to enjoy life without fear,doubt or constant emotional suffering and to be able to contribute to the world in a positive way, to help others,to heal myself and others and to just be uplifting to those I encounter.
    7.I am a soul looking to understand this life and have connections with other souls who understand me.

4. Kayle asquith says:

1# I was born in Dewsbury, England
    2# I love in a small town called Mirfield, England
    3# My children make me smile inside and out, music that touches my soul makes me smile and when I listen to myself because I tend to do everything opposite to what my soul wants it makes me smile because it always shouts I told you so.
    4# I have learned that it’s ok to be different it’s ok to not want what everyone else wants in life. In the midst of deep losses i am finding who I am.
    5# my deepest fear is other people, I am introverted and an empath I prefer to be around a chosen few I avoid social scenes and I don’t go out often I
    become overwhelmed and chlostraphobic being around too many people. I’m not looking to be accepted or to fit in I am looking to be better than I am.
    6# my dream is to get through life. I don’t have any particular goal or aspiration I don’t have anything to aim towards. I am trying to find my dream as confusion and fear limit my souls intention.
    7# I am 31 with an old soul the kind that knows things but doesn’t know how I know the kind that things will come from my mouth that I also didn’t know I knew. trying to break through a wall I’ve built around me, deep grief led me to question life and who I am, it’s been a long painful journey and I still don’t really know who I am, everyday I’m learning I’m searching im teaching myself but I’m stuck and this is who I’ve become. Somebody who isn’t who I used to be because I’ve learned a great deal but also somebody who I don’t really know yet.
    Thank you for the opportunity ?

5. Marlene says:

I was born in South Bend, Indiana, United States of America
    I chose to stay in South Bend, Indiana
    My family, my extended family, and nature makes me smile.
    I have learned when I truly trust in God, the Universe, and believe, miracles really do happen.
    My deepest fear is being alone. I feel life is better when shared with others.
    My dream is to learn as much as I can about how to live life as a soul, and teach it to my students so they know that life is so much more than their body, and the material things they try to accumulate.
    I am energy. The same energy that God created the Universe, nature, and all of us.

• LaToya Robinson says:

I was born in Greenville SC. I live in a small city called Easley. Precious moments with family and friends make me smile and fun new experiences. My biggest lesson is to live authentically, love unconditionally, have healthy boundaries, & trust my gut. My greatest fear is living a life unfulfilled. My dream is to to be the best version of myself I can be and to live passionately. I am a spiritual being having a human experience.

6. kim says:

Kim says:
    1. I was born in upstate NY
    2. I now live in rural upstate NY 🙂
    3. Being with my family, my dog, and receiving subtle signs from above that I am being watched over all make me smile. 🙂
    4. What is the most important life lesson you’ve learned so far? Life is short
    5. My biggest fear is that I’ve wasted a lot of time.
    6. I dream of becoming fit and healthy along with losing my procrastination habit. I want to be an inspiration and a good example for my nieces and nephew.
    7. I am always trying to improve myself; but sometimes I seem to be chasing my tail. 🙁

7. Stella Schmucker says:

I was born in China.
    I live inElizabethtown, North Carolina, US.
    Seeing my cats play and my husband free of pain is what makes me smile the most.
    I learned to not lose myself in any situation. To me, it means that to have my strong backbone and believe that I am good enough.
    My deepest fear is to live like a fool.
    My dream life is me and my husband having our own business (helping others) be our own boss, live in a place with great nature view, wild animals, blue sky, healthy water, nice friendship, and nice food.
    I am a person who is continually seeking for wise life styles.

8. Bobbbie says:

I was born in Passaic, New Jersey.
    I currently live in Yardley, Pa.
    Seeing children of all races playing together, laughing and smiling and to see an elderly couple holding hands.
    My most important life lesson is “when you have lost everything is when you realize that God is enough”.
    My deepest fear is to never find that one love in which I can grow old with, that one true friend before becoming a lover.
    The greatest dream of my life is to teach my grandkids about the love of God.
    I am a nurse (practicing 50 years) working in a cancer hospital, trying to make one patients’ journey of this dreadful disease, a little bit better each day.

• Bernadette Logue says:

Hi Bobbie, thank you for sharing and I just wanted to acknowledge the work you do in helping others during their difficult times with cancer. A tough job and one that touches lives in a very important way. Blessings to you. B 🙂

9. Vercountess Hendricks says:

I was born in the Bronx New York , United States. I live in Jacksonville Fl I chose to live there because my parents lived there.
    My friends, family make me smile and a fall
    day in September makes me smile.
    The most. Important life lesson i’ve Learn so far is see and say about does not or will not break or define you. Trust my gut , pray my pain away and never internalize someone else’s fear of you.
    My deepest fear is failing at my desire of creating my business and failing miserably and working until I’m 70.
    My greatest dream is to retire in 5 years with my business flourishing and debt free .
    I am a single soul who prays for change and fights not to feel alone or regret my life choices.

10. Catherine Brannan says:

I was born in Scotland, UK and live in Scotland.
    Being with nature makes me smile.
    Recently I have learned that I can do anything I put my mind to.
    My deepest fear is physical pain.
    My greatest dream is that my new business is successful allowing me to help others whilst I live a life I love.
    I am a pure positive energy source living a human experience.

11. Ciatta says:

I am a Liberian from West Africa living in Monrovia. I love and believe in myself and believe in God and Know we are all here with a plan to fulfill a dream that will define
    My propose on earth. I know that until I find that propose I am loss
    2. I know everyone you encounter is by no mistake it’s left with you to see the meaning in the meeting and use it.
    3. I am a optimistic I believe that my little assistant to someone might help a generation in someway you never dream about if only one person giving the opportunity could help one in need life would be better off
    4. Life is a school and having to learn through it wall is what make us who we become. my level of education or
    wealth value don’t measure who I am but the values I add to those I encountered treating all equal .

12. Michael G Williams says:

My 30 y/o daughter is always correcting me for oversharing when first meeting people, especially women. Some of these questions in the suggested list imply a level of intimacy that doesn’t yet exist upon a first meeting. Oversharing includes over-asking for personal information. That is why casual conversation starts with less personal questions, so the people can begin to acquaint and decide how they feel about each other.

13. Brittany says:

1. I was born in Butte, Montana, United States.
    2. I live in a Detroit suburb in a rental house.
    3. Cute animals, especially my dog, make me smile, as well as my fiance, my best friend, and genuine happiness in others. I was at a wedding recently and the happiness everyone expressed for the couple was the most beautiful thing.
    4. To be present in what I’m doing.
    5. My deepest fear is dying. Especially dying scared, or with deep regret.
    6. My greatest dream for my life is just to be content on my death bed. I want to be happy with the life I lived.
    7. I don’t really know who I am. I’m just me, just a person doing the best I can.

14. Kesang says:

I am born in Bhutan.
    I live in the town
    When I have positive people around me I smiles.
    I have learned to belive in God n live in positive way.
    I fear of living in this world in chaos in near future.
    My dream is about learning how to live happily n teach my students how to live happily with positive thinking.

15. Zingy says:

1) I was born in Port Vila, Vanuatu
    2) I’m currently living in Nadi, Fiji islands
    3) What makes me smile the most is seeing people that I’ve encountered and know a lil bit about smile despite whatever they’ve been through
    4) The most important life lesson that I’ve learned so far is that life goes on, a problem or challenge will always exist and it’s your attitude towards it that will determine how far you’ll go. Learning is a process but remember to always grow from any process you go through
    5) I’m a Christian thus my greatest fear is not making it to heaven
    6) My greatest dream is to give without limitations and to be the very best of in my career also empowering women
    7) I’m a sojourner yet to discover this life full of mysteries

16. Tierra P says:

I am Tierra I was born in Denver, Colorado. I now reside in Georgia. Kids, laughter, and nature make me smile, they are all a gift from God. The most important life lesson that I am currently learning is to love myself, it doesn’t make you selfish. My deepest fear is to be paralyzed by fear, and to not trust myself and the divine calling on my life. I will be called but not go. My greatest dream is to step out on faith, go after my dreams, to be healthy, happy, travel, and smile often! I am a flawed and beautiful creation, searching for peace, and purpose!

17. Matt says:

1) I was born in Torrance California
    2) I live in Redondo Beach
    3) i’m happiest when I’m in nature. I love fly fishing and surfing. Being a dad and husband is the best!
    4) Life lesson I’ve learned is being present in the moment. I’m turning 60 this year I am trying really hard not to worry about the future. Everything works best when I go with the flow
    5) One of my biggest fears as a parent is that my son will relapse
    6) my dream is to retire to the Oregon coast with my wife and watch the whales in depot bay ! I can’t wait to be a grandpa
    7) i’m so grateful for my life. The universe definitely has my back.

18. Meghann says:

1. I was born in Buffalo, NY.
    2. I live in Buffalo again now… but I keep moving and coming back!
    3. The children I work with everyday make me smile!
    4. Most important lesson I have learned is that there will always be those who try to force you to shave off pieces of yourself to fit into a box or a preconceived notion of what you should be… don’t let them! Always be your true authentic self even if it makes other people nervous or uncomfortable!
    5. My deepest fear is that I won’t find someone who wants to build a family with me.
    6. The greatest dream for my life is to continue in a career that helps children! I want to improve the lives of as many children as possible.
    7. I am a hopeful soul who is full of love for the universe!

• Bernadette Logue says:

Hi Meghann, loved that way you wrote “those who try to force you to shave off pieces of yourself” … yes! So true. Takes conscious choice to remain true to oneself in a world that is often trying to make us into something else. Thanks for sharing your insights, much love to you in NY. B

19. Laura Russell says:

1-I was born in Devon, UK.
    2-I still live in Devon, UK!
    3-Being around my family, friends, my beautiful little cat. Travel and nature all make me smile …..Oh and Music! 😊
    4-Life is short…don’t forget to appreciate the small things that we often overlook.
    5-Illness. Having my life cut short by an illness or living in pain or discomfort. Being unable to achieve the things I dream off in life.
    6-So many dreams!…To open my own successful business. Travel the world. Live somewhere surrounded by nature. Live a long, happy, healthy life surrounded by those I love.
    7-I’m not 100% sure who I am, but I lean towards being a old spirit having a human experience in order to learn all that life has to teach.

20. Emelie says:

1. I was born and raised in Sweden.
    2. I moved to the U.S. six years ago.
    3. I smile and feel the happiest when I get to be creative – paint, write, crafts, produce music – you name it!
    4. My biggest life lesson has been to trust in myself – I’m good enough and there is no need to compare myself to anyone or anything.
    5. My biggest fear has always been to not be enough for others (contradicting my biggest life lesson. I’m really trying to not worry about others and what I think they see me as) and to miss out on things in life that I dream of.
    6. My greatest dream is to live off my creativity, and to be secure in myself.
    7. I am smart, artistic, kind, and introverted. I am me! 🙂

21. Di says:

1 – I was born in Braga, Portugal.
    2- I am living (for now) in Braga Portugal.
    3 – Meeting fabulous interesting people, reading delicipus booka and watching funny tv shows series and movies.
    4 – Valuing my opinions, following my good feelings.
    5 – Failling to meet my goals and dreams, being stuck where I am forever.
    6 – Being who I am fully – vibrant and colourful – and doing what I love mostly – acting, playing amazing characters for meaningful productions. Being a successful actor.
    7 – I am a star.

22. Stephane Gay says:

1. I was born in Bourg en Bresse, near Lyon, France
    2. I am living in Cape Town, South Africa and love the place
    3. My 2 year old daughter having fun every minute of every day
    4. The most important life lesson learnt so far is that I can achieve anything I set my mind to – I know that If I really want something hard enough, it will happen one way or another
    5. Getting a cancer is my deepest fear as it will decrease the amount of time I have to enjoy this life and my children to the max
    6. My greatest dream is to be able to find a new work activity that I can enjoy fully while providing me with flexibility to travel the world and live as many experiences as possible
    7. I am a rational being, yet persuaded about the many mysteries of life.