In 8th grade I was notoriously late for class. But my sly attitude and smooth talking skills would always get me free. Until I was moved into P.E. with Mr. Quinn.

Mr. Quinn was the cool teacher that most kids enjoyed. But after strolling up 2 minutes after the bell, he said sternly, “Dale you're late.” Of which I began to slur out some excuse for my tardiness. He quickly cut me off by tossing me a leather bound book titled “Excuses: The Tales of Students Without Integrity”. I opened the book to find (literally) thousands of excuses written on blank pages from students over the years.

At the time, it was kind of funny. But as I look back, it taught me a lesson I'll never forget.

Nobody likes people who make excuses.

You either say what you do and do what you say, or you don't. You either build a reputation of completion and follow through, or  you fail. You either have integrity to fulfill the commitment, or you give up.

Many of us leave our dreams, desires, and even small changes in our lives to fall by the wayside simply because we lack the integrity to follow through. We're weak. We're lazy. And…

We make excuses.

Our life is either too hard, we don't have enough time, we don't know how, or my favorite… I don't feel like it right now.

But let me tell you this. When you look back on your life 30 years from now, it will be made up of two things: The things you did. And the excuses you made.

Are you not happy with your life? Are you still struggling financially in your 30's? Are you depressed or struggling to beat anxiety or addiction? Are you still overweight despite numerous attempts at getting healthy? Answer me this: Why?

If your words were the opening lines to a world class excuse, save it. Write in a book and read it to yourself 10 years from now.

Stop making excuses. True strength is the ability to eliminate excuses. You must do what others won't if you want to achieve what others don't

The video below features a guy who has every reason to make an excuse. He's broken, poor, and riddled with a past of harmful decisions. But it's not stopping him from change. He gave no excuse. Instead, he took action.

What excuses do you make? How do you plan to eliminate them starting today? Let me know in the comments below.

Featured Image Source

21 thoughts on “Do You ALWAYS Make Excuses? This Will Help You…

1. Ali C'Γ¨ says:

I’m continuously working on myself, and this shows why we don’t have to make excuses. I consider myself a lucky person. I have a family that loves me, a boyfriend, a diploma, a job, so why should I every make excuses if this man who has nothing doesn’t make any excuse???
    Thanks for your posts and your daily positive messages, me and my boyfriend find them really inspirational. πŸ˜€

2. Leslie says:

Thanks for the daily inspiration! I am new to Th Daily. Are there any practical idea, tips, to to make a lasting change? To live and excuse-less life?

There are many blogs I’ve written on how to make a lasting change – you’ll find them if you scroll through them!

3. Geralyn says:

Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    I have been making excuses for many things as I get older. Not through words, but through avoidance.
    I just started an exercise program that is focused and convenient. I am entering week two. I just turned fifty this year and plan to make the second half of my life better than the first (which was pretty good!) by trying to remember that I have the peer to control how I react to every situation.
    No more excuses my friend.
    I have two wonderful rescue pups that have taught me so much already. It is clear to me, that I still have much to learn from them.
    To live in the moment is my mantra now.
    Thank you so much for the inspiration and the gentle reminders.

4. Roy Pumphrey says:

My goal last year was to “live a year without any excuses”. I did pretty good and it was amazing how much more I accomplished. It’s so easy to waste time doing low and no-value things.

5. David Ramos says:

Love this! That video was incredible. I don’t want to be a person marked by my excuses but by my choices

6. sebastian egurrola says:

I harΓ© myself for always using Excuses instead OF taking action. Some times i justo dont know what to do..

7. Crystal says:

Thanks, Dale! This article is right up my alley. My husband’s been in prison for almost five years now, and I’ve been raising our almost five-year-old daughter on my own. Although it’s very tough, lately I’ve really been trying not use any of it as an excuse. I can find time to exercise. I can rest later. I can find money for organic whole foods. There’s always a way – I just have to find it. And having my husband taken from me has given both of us a true appreciation for each other – and for our precious time on this earth. I try to see it as a blessing in disguise. A few years apart now, to live happily ever after.

8. Carmelita says:

I needed to read this today. Sadly i always say that im too busy or tired for everything in my life. I push away friends, relationships, opportunities and being spontaneous. Im trying to do better by managing my time better, getting involved in a hobby, spending more time with friends and planning to travel.

9. Angie says:

This story about Ronnie is an absolute truth, we can only control what is right in front of us and learn to accept and stop making excuses, thanks for the share this morning.

10. Lacie says:

Beautiful. Great dose of positive for the day! πŸ™‚ Excuses are easy to make and each one is an invisible pound of weight being added to the shackles that hold us back from the things we are capable of. I speak from experience also. I am guilty of excuses- for years I didn’t even realize I was making them and I used every life circumstance as an excuse for why I was failing. We can’t change the things around us- can’t blame it on the economy, other people, or time. Time functions the way it always has (sunrise, sunset), people are the same, and the economy is a rollercoaster (always has been). The only thing we can change is ourselves and our impact on our surroundings.

11. Deb Powers says:

Dale–your words and views are in line with my own but this post about excuses seemed to hit below the belt. I am lazy and the “queen” of excuses. The mother of two girls whom I’ve poured myself into and a wife of 27 years. This has been my excuse for not writing, losing weight, quitting smoking and a myriad of of other challenges. Knowing and recognizing these is the first step but moving into changes is a whole new realm for me. Any tips on how focus? I appreciate your pins for their depth and meaning. I may be getting older but I’m not dead yet! Thank you for the mental boost.