Over the years, I've had the opportunity to work with some incredible people. Men and women of influence and leaders with the gift of wealth creation. But many of them (like most people) have been crippled by emotional wounds.

Wounds from missing words. An absent affirmation, appreciation, or value from those who are closest to us.

Laura Trice as seen in the video below uncovers the astonishing power of these emotional mishaps and better yet, offers us an incredible solution that is not only simple but practical for almost anyone.

Are you willing to ask to be appreciated? What has stopped you in the past? Do you think you will try this in the future? Let me know in the comments below.

Photo provided by Lightstock

13 thoughts on “The Astonishing Power Of “Thank You”. Wow.

1. Monika Rose Grundy says:

I am always affirming others and encouraging others, but I am not replenished with the same very often. This leaves me feeling under appreciated and desperate for confirmation and validation. I have recently realized how hurt I’ve been and all the hurt I’ve held on to because of this very thing. I have been left used and empty.

The thought of having to ask for appreciation makes me very uncomfortable. I don’t feel that something one should have to ask for and that seems kind of rude to me? How does one go about asking for appreciation without looking needy or like a complete tool? These are the very things that have stopped me in the past. I don’t want to see conceited for in need for something like a compliment. I would really have to think and pray on this before I even attempted to ask for such a thing in the future.

• Cindy Keating says:

This is an interesting concept… I can relate to your comment Monika. The idea of asking for appreciation seems completely against the point.

That said, my husband has urged me to do this for HIS benefit. We’ve found there is often an innocent disconnect between the small areas in which I long for affirmation and the things that he notices and goes out of his way to appreciate. It’s not that he doesn’t appreciate, but he often appreciates different. So he acknowledges things that are trivial to me, and not the things that are important.

This miscommunication causes completely innocent and unnecessary tension.

Open communication shouldn’t be seen as seeking confirmation but as a temporary learning curve so that your specific area of need to be validated can be recognized and over time those around you will learn to affirm in the ways you need most.

Totally agree with Cindy! There is nothing wrong with asking to be acknowledged and appreciated for the hard work you do – ESPECIALLY from your spouse (who is not a mind reader). You should also read The 5 Love Languages, which will help you understand your love language and also others around you!

2. Jess Parker says:

Beautiful. So simple but so needed… I need to drop the hinting and ask directly! A bit scary but I’ll give it a go!

I’m not a huge Joel Osteen fan, and I don’t know if I agree with that statement! I think we are blessed completely whether we realize it or not, and whether we speak about it or not. We have far greater blessings than I think we even realize! God is so good all the time, even if we’re not paying attention 🙂

• katndog says:

Awe man, I’m disappointed in your reply! As the woman mentioned in the video so many of us may have had parents, bosses, neighbors, friends, siblings who NEVER told us directly they appreciated us and we LOST OUT because of it. No one wants a mystery blessing that we’re unaware of??? What is that about? We’re not spiritual giants walking around with complete confidence and no need of material/this world acknowledgments. I hope you rethink your answer and come down out of the clouds. There is a time for lofty relating but there is more time needed to relating to the common man (as you know). We DO NEED to hear appreciation as the video stated. That is why we were instructed to ASK for it so it can be SPOKEN out loud to us.

3. Julia Kristina says:

Oh I am such a sucker for specific, detailed, positive reinforcement and if not voluntarily offered, I will overtly solicit it. Awhile I was called out by a co-worker who said to me with a hint of disdain: “You sure always need people to give you a pat on the back when you do a good job!” and to this I replied “I sure do!”

4. Julia Kristina says:

I’m not sure if I totally agree with Laura about thanking your kids for doing their chores – I think that implies that they are doing me a favour, when, in fact they are doing it as contributing members of the family. I do, however, think that praising and recognizing their efforts by saying “good job” is totally appropriate.

• katndog says:

How about when you go to work or go to school? What if your boss or instructor never said “thank you!” how would you feel? Sure it’s great to hear “good job”, but to hear the words Thank You equates to appreciation. All of us, each of us wants and needs to feel appreciated. A kind and sincere Thank You to your children will go miles and miles and miles. Be generous, not grudging in building them up. It will pay off by the millions in later years ; )

• Julia Kristina says:

I agree katndog. When someone does something for me, or I them, I think it’s always good to say thank you. It’s so important that we take the time verbalize and let people know when we appreciate something they’ve done for us.

5. katndog says:

I think this is a fantastic idea! My son and I struggle in our adult relating to one another. The last few years he’s taken on a critical tone with me and it hurts my feelings a lot, but I haven’t said anything. I’ve been waiting for this phase to pass, but it doesn’t look like it will. I’m going to ask him to praise me for something I’ve done. I know he is proud of me for many things, he’s said so in the past, but it’s been a while. I have grandchildren now and I make sure I thank them often and tell them how smart they are. I try to listen to everything they say and give a response so they know that who they are is of interest to me, that I value their words and efforts.