The age old question – why don’t I do what is good for me?
- Why don’t I follow through?
- Why can’t I stick with this and get the result?
- Why do I start and stop?
I used to be confused about this myself too.
Until I realized something that changed everything.
I’ll share that with you in one moment, but first…
What Do YOU Want?
You might want to lose weight, but you don’t know how to follow through with the nutritional changes you need to make.
You might want to pay down your debt, but you don’t know how to follow through with sorting out your financial plan.
You might want to publish a novel you’ve been working on, but you don’t know how to follow through with writing to finish it.
Here’s the bottom line:
- You want the end result
- But… YOU DON’T WANT THE ACTION that takes you there
That’s actually a really big problem!
Because the action comes first, and you don’t want to take it, so you never get the result.
Seems pretty obvious right? And it is.
But if you’re anything like me, and every other person I’ve ever met, here is what your conscious mind says…
I really don’t understand why I can’t just make this happen.
I really want to DO this.
That’s Wrong and That’s the Problem
It’s time to be brutally honest with yourself – you really don’t want DO this (whatever the action is that takes you there).
You really want the END RESULT. But you don’t like having to take the action required to make it happen.
Your mind has a whole story it’s running about the action required.
Check yourself right now…
- Write down the goals you’ve struggled to follow through on (to either get a result, or get and sustain that result)
- Write down the actions needed to achieve those goals
- Now tell me if you feel any type of negative association at all with those actions
- I really want to lose weight, but…
- The action required is to change my eating patterns / nutrition.
- It’s really hard to do that.
- I don’t want to miss out on foods I enjoy eating.
- I feel so good when I eat X foods, I hate going without them.
- I feel deprived.
- It’s never worked before.
- (The actions that help you lose weight have negative associations in your mind)
- I really want to sort out my debt, but…
- The action required is to look at my financial situation in detail and restructure my income and expenditure.
- It’s really hard to do that.
- I feel awful when I look at the reality of my debt. I feel stuck.
- I’m terrible with numbers.
- I have no idea how to follow through and change it.
- I don’t want to budget and miss out on spending on the things I like.
- (The actions that help you sort out your debt have negative associations in your mind)
- I really want to publish my book, but…
- The action required is to write on a regular basis to finish the manuscript.
- I don’t have enough time.
- It’s hard to concentrate.
- I always get distracted.
- I’m afraid what I write won’t be good enough.
- It never feels like the right time.
- (The action that helps you to finish your book have negative associations in your mind)
You really want the result.
BUT You DON’T want the action that takes you there.
Whenever you are not following through, it’s highly likely because your subconscious mind is coded with “I want X, but I don’t want the action that creates it.”
Because the discomfort of the action comes first, and the joy of the result comes second, you don’t follow through.
You’re driven by the immediate issue at hand… the action and the pain/price you THINK you pay by taking that action.
It’s not enough to want something.
You have to also want THE ACTION that takes you to it.
The solution below may seem too simple to be true. But believe me, from first-hand experience, this works…
- Tell your mind you want to take this action.
- Tell your mind you choose this action.
- Tell your mind you LOVE this action.
- “I want to do this. I choose to do this. I LOVE to do this.”
Don’t tell yourself once. Tell yourself every day, in every way possible.
Say it to yourself, dance to music while you sing this to yourself, write it on your bathroom mirror.
Journal it every night. Make it your personal jingle.
Repeat it over and over again, and put some freaking emotion behind it! SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT.
Watch this video to learn…
Video: How to Follow Through – A Powerful Mantra
You want that result? Then train yourself to want the action that creates it.
- I want to eat healthy. I choose to eat healthy. I love choosing healthy food over all others. It makes me feel great. Eating healthy is amazing.
- I want to create my financial plan. I choose to take control of finances. I LOVE sorting out my budget. This is fun!
- I want to write my book. I choose to write on a regular basis. I love sitting down at my writing desk and having ideas flow out.
Notice these mind-training affirmation statements are NOT about the result AT ALL. There is no mention of losing weight or getting rid of debt, or finishing the novel. The statements are positive new associations in your mind for the action that creates the result.
If you train your mind to WANT the action, you will get the result.
Change your story about the action required and you change your life.
I’d love to hear from you!
- What are your goals?
- What actions will take you there?
- What has your mind previously negatively associated with those actions?
- What are you going to recode yourself to want, to choose and to love?
- What did you think of the mantra video?
Scroll down to leave a comment and I’ll reply back as soon as possible.
With love, Bernadette
PS. Ready to take control of your mind, so it propels you into great results instead of keeping you stuck? “Master Your Mind” 6 week online program. Get ready for inner transformation that will have you powerfully in control of your mindset, following through with action on things that matter, and achieving your goals!
Related Resources for Setting & Achieving Goals
- 7 Pillars for Creating Positive Change
- How to Create a Vision Board
- 5 Steps for Working with The Universe to Create the Life You Want
- 6 Minute Daily Visualization for Goal Achievement – Audio
- Creating Personal Discipline so You Can Achieve Your Goals
- Understanding Your Satisfaction Drivers so You Can Achieve Your Goals
- How to Get Motivated to Do What's Good for You