I'm 29 years old and over the past few months, I've found myself very aware of how I use my time. Which is odd to me. In my past, time was almost exclusively used for advancement or achievement. But recently, my heart has redirected this asset toward more emotional or relational activities.

It's as if my soul is realizing that I only have so many hours left. But how many? After I count the hours I work, the hours I sleep, the hours I drive, and so forth… How much time do I really have left? What should I use it for?

Nobody on their deathbed said they wished they worked more.

While uncovering this fascinating thought, I found this insightful infographic debunking the question perfectly. It's worth every word and it has truly helped me recognize that my time here is fading every moment of every day. What will I do with the hours I have left?

a9e59c0b26b6e6cc31547bdc796bd98d

How did this make you feel? What are you planning to do with your remaining free time? Let me know in the comments below.

47 thoughts on “How Much Life Do You Have Left? This Will Tell You.

1. Eternal Optimist says:

Ask the girl that I have my sights on to go out with me and see if there is a possibility of a future relationship.

2. Brittney Rickett says:

It does make you think. But these things are apart of life to enjoy as well, so I’ll make the most out of that time. The most important part is if I’m doing what God would have me do. As long as my time is spent guided by Him and glorifying Him, then I won’t go wrong or have any regrets.

• KTMac says:

Some of the most gratifying years of my life were spent caring for my children. That WAS my life, and I can’t imagine doing it any other way. My husband and I garden and cook together now, and that, too, is my life. Mundane to some, I suppose, but I found (and still find) the extraordinary in everyday moments like these.

• Brittney Rickett says:

That sounds wonderful♡♡ My view is that our children are the most important job that God gives us. The funny thing is, our lives aren’t about us at all. We are apart of God’s never ending story that began before us and will continue long after we leave this earth. So we need not be consumed with what WE are getting out of life, but rather, what we can do to lead others to God. Because in the end, it’s a relationship with Jesus our Christ that will determine our eternity.

3. Caitlin says:

This is a great reminder! Thanks for sharing. I’ve been meaning to get dinner with my grandma lately, and this has inspired me to give her a call. 🙂

4. Eric says:

I probably think about this several times a day. The hard part is getting extricated from a system that doesn’t allow full usage of that available time.
    Life is what happens when you are making other plans- John Lennon

Indeed. But make a point to enjoy the season you are in as well, no matter the circumstance. 🙂

5. Steve says:

It is certainly a topic that needs to be brought forward! I have learned what my time is worth recently, and I have to admit that it has jept me from wasting it!

Exactly. Being intentional about identifying where all my time was going really helped me to re-evaluate it.

6. Cindy says:

I am focused on being present in every moment. I find that my best memories and most replenished opportunities come when I am present in the moment. I only have this moment to live so I try to make the best of it. I don’t always succeed; however since I have focused on being present I feel that my life is the fullest it has ever been. 🙂

• Cindy says:

And when I DO wander outside of the moment, I usually find myself daydreaming about Italy and Ireland. 😉

7. Sebastian Daniels says:

Haha. Man that was a great infographic. IT really shocks you of how little time you have to do the things you want to do. I like to the that my hours of working though are part of my positive hours because I love doing it so I got a lot of time left. : D

8. King of the losers says:

I don’t think this infographic tells the story well. Its not about having 9 or so years of free time for family, friends (even though that is of paramount importance). Its about not being appreciative that you had friends, loved ones and family during those times of eating, studying, shopping, work etc. You do not want to live this infographic. You want to go back to work, school, or whatever you do and appreciate all those around you and all those that support and love you in the background. So eat with your family, have a drink with friends, be an inspiration at work for others, help each other with studies…even text that crush while you are on the toilet ha ha. You can add more of the good stuff to your life.

• Kjrgirl says:

Thank you for your outlook. When I see things like this, it’s hard not to get entrenched in hopelessness, but reading this, I realize that most of those things are choice and joyous duty, not burdens. Thanks!

9. Eliza says:

Dang. That’s eye opening.
    I’m almost 18… Just graduated highschool and I’ve already begun to have that urge that you mentioned with the emotional spiritual level of things…. Does it say something possibly about my time line…?

10. Nicole says:

Sorry but no… Most all of those things are happening next to people we care about, or at least like. This IS life. All this makes up our life. It’s our story. Enjoy the ride. Have a positive outlook. Make the best of your days. Take the high road in all situations. Smile. Laugh. Kiss. Love.

The infographic was used mainly to encourage people to be aware of the time they do have, and to use their time wisely. 🙂

11. nina says:

That actually made me really sad! Although I do think that dying teaches us a lot about living I don’t know that I want to think about how many years I have left every day when I wake up.

I understand what you mean! My intention was to encourage my readers to re-evaluate where their daily time is being spent. If at the end of that evaluation you are happy, then you have nothing to change. 🙂

12. Stephan says:

Hi Dale,
    since signing up to your mail notifications i find myself every day, for a short period of time, opening a new tab and fading away from the daily grind. Just a moment of thinking before building myself up, going through another 9+ hours of pressure and yes, often the fear while questioning the whole thing.

Thanks for these moments of truth.

29 🙂 The post that says I’m 35 was probably a guest post. Whenever it’s a guest post, it will state it at the top 🙂

13. Christine says:

Hello Dale, I have been on vacation so my email box is overflowing!! I just began deleting messages left and right….but the title of your email made me stop and read. I am so glad I did!! Loved the infographic — I am at an age where I constantly think about time and how precious it is. I definitely want to make the very most of what I have left. I plan to do MUCH MORE of what I am passionate about as well as to love and serve others more. This was really great! Thank you! 🙂

14. Catherine says:

Although I appreciate the breakdown by putting life’s time frame into perspective, I disagree with the logic of just having less than ten years to “live”. I would think the ideal would be to live in the moment and be mindful of what truly matters in your life. There is so much joy in caring for your children and raising them. There can be satisfaction in commuting……by listening to a great audio book or favorite music. Or taking pleasure in a meal shared with family and friends. Even doing “chores”, with the sense of accomplishment for a job well done. Working in a career that you love. All of this, is “life”. The bonus time of nine and a half years, is just what it is. Bonus time. Live your life in gratitude and with an open heart and mind and all your years will be filled with grace……even in the face of adversity. It is all a matter of attitude and vision. Choose wisely.

15. Tim Flocke says:

Reminds me of “Be careful how you live, not as unwise but wise, making the most of every opportunity, for the days are evil…”

Nice post Dale!

16. Courtney says:

I find this graphic flawed because I usually do most of the stuff listed, save sleeping, with other people, joking, lauging, having fun, LIVING. I mean, all of this stuff is my life. I don’t see how I only have 9. All the years are mine.

17. JD says:

Funny I’m about to turn 29 and I’ve been feeling this way to a T. For the past 10 years in my professional career I talk about how much I miss going camping. (Something I did almost every month of my childhood) Yet I would never plan it, so therefore it didn’t happen. A few weeks ago I said fuck it I’m going! And if nobody goes with me I’ll take one of my dogs. So I’m throwing my shit in the car and leaving in a couple days, and I plan to do a whole lot more of this. Good read!