“Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.” –1 Samuel 12:24

Staying faithful is an act that takes work each and every day. But in a society that tells us: “Once you lose your happiness, you need to walk away,” faithfulness is a hard concept to grasp.

unnamed

I grew up in the Christian faith. We went to church every Sunday, prayed before meals and at bedtime, and whenever we faced a trial, we were encouraged to lean on God. But as I grew, it became easier to miss church, leave my Bible on the shelf and reach for a self-help book instead of falling on my knees in prayer. The more I walked away from spiritual disciplines, the more my faith began to falter.

So much comes at us to ruin our spiritual health. We become too busy or choose to spend our time exploring this big world and all it has to offer. Worldly things are tangible. We can see, hear, and touch what our heart desires, while our faith believes in the unseen. There are great parts about exploring the world around us, but it should be done to increase our faith, not diminish it.

“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world.” –Romans 12:2

To become more like this world is against God’s call. We must remember that God has always spoken against what the world says. He speaks on this through Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew 5. When we are told not to do something, Jesus takes it a step further. Here are some examples:

1. “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment.”

2.You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’  But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

3. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.”

4. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

I mean, this is all pretty intense, right? Thank God for grace! We can hardly commit to the little things like making our beds and taking our daily vitamins. How can we possibly live a life of righteousness? Especially one that goes against our broken humanity.

We must stay committed to our faith and continue practicing spiritual disciplines. A mentor once told me that what starts out as a discipline soon becomes a delight. Keep reading the Word. Continue to pray through our struggles, even when it’s difficult, and we will soon see our faith transform! And the times when we lack, we must give ourselves grace and try again.

Don’t walk away. Happiness feels good, but we aren’t promised a lifetime of happiness. We can’t leave when things get hard. We must stay committed following God, even in an uncommitted world that pulls us in the other direction as soon as life gets hard or unbearable.

Building our lives upon our faith gives us the firm foundation we need to thrive. So, while the rest of the world is like a leaf flapping around in the wind without any direction or place of belonging, remember to hold tightly to your faith and be committed to doing your best to live a life of righteousness.

Tell us in the comments how YOU stay faithful in an uncommitted world!

Amanda is a wife, mother, writer, and certified life coach. Pen and paper make her spirit come alive. She spends her creative time reading, decorating, and handwriting fonts. Her world is better with an assortment of chocolate and a stack of books packed and ready for travel. She is a writer for Downs Ups & Teacups. When she’s not writing, she’s planning outdoor adventures with her husband and two children. She believes life feels best when it’s truly lived!

New in The Daily Positive Shop

19 thoughts on “How To Stay Faithful In An Uncommitted World

1. Pam says:

Parents, mentors, pastors, be transparent, be REAL, honest, brutally honest~Tell young people to expect to temptation..tell them that just because they are married, committed, they may very well find themselves VERY attracted to another person (sooner or later) Encourage them that the lies the enemy will whisper, are just that , LIES! You didn’t marry “the wrong” person, the grass is NOT greener (fertilize your OWN) the “new lusty love” WOUKD wear off with him/her too (regardless of how you FEEL at the present time) …do NOT believe the lie that “you are different”, meaning the person that us willing to step outside of Biblical boundaries in their current marriage/relationship WILL DO IT TO YOU IF THEY DO IT WITH YOU (again, sooner or later) Tge Bibke tells us to RESIST the devil and he WILL flee from you..Do not justify your attraction to another and “feed” this by lying to yourself and others “she us just a friend” …etc…slippery slippery slope. If you don’t want your own children to “break” their future homes, don’t start or continue the family curse/tradition whatever you choose to call it. Run , don’t walk, RUN from temptation!

2. Aleta says:

Thank you very much for this article. Currently I am going through a very trying time and I did want to walk away and hide, maybe not from God but just from everything this else that is going wrong. This reminded me to stand firm and hold on to God’s unchanging hand even when my life feels like constant stormy turmoil. Thank you for embracing and sharing your gift of writing, it’s helping save my life. Keep up the good work.
    a growing grown up.

3. Renee Blechner says:

I stay faithful in an uncommitted world by just giving it up to God every day to the best of my ability. I do believe but he has been with me since the day I was born when I opened my heart to him again in later life he continues to love me no matter what. How can I not believe in something as great as that?

4. Anne says:

I’m going through massive changes in my life at the moment, and I spend a lot of my time talking to Jesus..can’t imagine how I could have coped without my faith..

5. Sarah says:

I live by a code of loyalty and integrity, but there are times when you need to walk away when something or someone becomes toxic

6. Tia says:

I stay faithful by getting on his nerves as much as I possibly can. I talk to him every chance I get which I bet by now he’s saying “not her again”! :)))
    I find it so fascinating that the more I talk to Him and remain steadfast in my faith everything changes around me. Like Renee said, he has showed me that he will love me no matter what. I will never leave his side.

7. Connor says:

Great article Amanda, beautiful reflection, obeying, trusting, and following God in all circumstances is Faith. Jesus, I Trust in you!

8. Donna says:

Just simply thank you. A lot of times society including myself, is in a hurry and don’t find time to read or meditate on God’s word. I look forward to seeing your newsletter and I take the time to slow down and read it, in a fast paced world.

9. Carole says:

The last 4 years have been almost unbearable….almost! My husband was forced to resign from his job, accused of something he didn’t do (which in turn ruined a 27 year career). We spent our life savings & retirement on lawyers & living expenses (since he wasn’t able to get a job in the field, or even the outfield of his degree)! The legal issues are so complicated & involve a corrupt federal agency and greedy men in high places…each lawyer we had said we had a huge case & it was obvious that my husband was wronged. Since the case was so complicated it was also time consuming (which in the lawyer world means billable hours). Once the money ran out, so did they. During this time our 16 year old son got sick & lost 40lbs within a couple of months. After numerous doctors & procedures we were told that his intestinal tract had basically shut down & needed to “reboot”. Then I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and a few months later had a seizure, fell and shattered my right shoulder. The shoulder had to be replaced. While I was still in the hospital I developed a blood clot in each lung and spent several days in ICU. My therapy was delayed and because we didn’t have health insurance my therapy was minimal at best. I did what I could on my own. 2 years later I have very little use of my right (dominate) arm. There were lots of “little” set backs & issues during this time (I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring, my back pain (due to a lifetime of falls, with one ending in a compression fracture) was becoming unbearable, which in turn limited my working, the depression that was hanging over my husband due to what happened with his career & the inability to find a job…the list goes on). Then a year and a half ago my father-in-law passed away.
    I was brought up going to church, church camps in the summer and being involved with church activities. I NEVER doubted or questioned who God was or who Jesus Christ was. I’ve ALWAYS believed! During hard times while growing up and throughout my adult life I turned to Jesus and to the Lord to help me through. When the issues were resolved I didn’t call on them again until the next crisis occurred. BIG mistake!!!
    Looking back I can clearly see that God has been knocking on the door of my heart to let Him come in and take up residence there.
    When our world started crashing down around us, I began the “routine” that had always gotten me through before. Only this time things didn’t improve, they kept getting worse! It got to the point that I was SO mad at the Lord that I almost turned my back on Him!
    One of my dearest friends is probably one of the finest Christian women I know! It was during this time that I was going to visit her. She could sense my anger & distrust in God. She never questioned me or tried to “preach” to me. We just enjoyed catching up & eating (lol!). The day I was leaving (which was a Sunday), she asked me if I wanted to go to church with her and then go eat breakfast before I left. I agreed (that was a God thing… Because I really did not want to go). During the service, the preacher talked about “lip service” and how many people claim that Jesus is Lord but do they REALLY make Him the Lord over their lives! Do you honor Him, obey His word and BELIEVE and TRUST in Him? Talk about a punch in the gut!!! So THAT has been my problem all of these years!!! I speak the words that Jesus is my Lord & Savior, but I didn’t give Him the honor and respect He deserves! He was just a “coin” I kept in my pocket and only used it for times when I couldn’t do something on my own or when times got too tough to handle! WHAT A FOOL I’D BEEN!!!
    To wrap this up, that day I rededicated my life to Christ! And even though life is FAR from perfect and we are still dealing with everything mentioned above, I KNOW that God is with us and that all of the trials we are going through are for a reason! All of this has brought my husband and I closer and our marriage stronger. But MOST importantly it has brought us closer to God! And for that reason I am eternally grateful!!!

• Amanda Foust says:

It’s like the book of Job! I love that your struggles made you even stronger. Great example of faithfulness,Carole. Thanks for sharing!

10. Laura Damon says:

When I am going through a rough time I remember “1 Peter 5:7New International Version (NIV)

7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

11. MissJess says:

I had a very interesting meeting today with my families financial adviser – we took a look at my business and discussed its ability to grow and give myself and my future family financial freedom. He used this analogy to describe the type of business structure that I have. To think of the business as my farm – the farm can cover my living expenses and lifestyle of choice, however it’s fruits will always be subject to the weather and the productivity will be subject to how hard I work at it. We came to the conclusion that if I want those worldly things that I feel my heart is so tempted by, then this business will not be able to give me that. However this business was handed to me by the Grace of God and he has entrusted his farm into my hands. To walk away from it, to follow a life I dream of through Instagram and social media, would be turning down Gods purpose for my life. This financial adviser said to take some time alone and think about what my heart truly wants out of life. This article couldn’t have come at a better time, it reminded me why I can’t give up. What I learned today is to Never give up and if you are lucky enough to know exactly what God has purposed you to do on this earth, then never turn your back on that, for he will provide in every season. The truth is what ever wealth we accumulate on this earth will never leave with us, so let us stay true and focused on Gods plan in order to live an abundant life in eternity. Amen. Thank You for your gift and purpose.

12. Ugo says:

Very refreshing.

This spoke to me: ‘Don’t walk away. Happiness feels good, but we aren’t promised a lifetime of happiness.’

These days, you don’t hear this often. Thank you.