First off, I don't expect you to watch this entire video. It's 16 minutes long! Who has time for that? But within the first 120 seconds, you'll understand the premise of this teaching.

Validation. Affirmation. Compliments. However you want to put it––they are the secret to making long-term relationships. These small words of intention can change a fellow human's journey, forever? So why do we so rarely give them? What is holding us back? Is it our selfishness? Is it just forgetfulness?

“To affirm a person is to see the good in them that they cannot see in themselves and to repeat it in spite of appearances to the contrary.”

The video below proves this to be true. Speak up. We all need it.

Has a stranger ever affirmed you? How did it make you feel? Let me know in the comments below.

33 thoughts on “How To Turn Strangers Into Life-Long Friends

1. Rosen says:

I watched the whole film and it made me feel amazing ! Thank you for writing the article ! It made my day 🙂 !

2. Vera says:

This is a great story… a positive comment and a genuine smile can uplift anyone… I try to do the same as what the parking attendant do and it is a wonderful feeling to know you made someone smile…. and when I get an affirmation from a stranger, I feel great as well and forget my many problems, even for a moment… Thank you for making this film..

3. Banke Salami says:

Thanks for sharing this video. It was so uplifting that I ended up watching the full video! A wonderful way to start my day 🙂

• Kim says:

I did too… Worth watching to the end! I loved it! Makes me want to go and make someone smile!

Haha I didn’t plan on watching the full thing either but it kinda sucks you in, in a very good way 🙂

4. Macaira O'Connell says:

During my freshman year of high school, I was walking down the hall and I was in a completely horribly depressed mood and I’m sure I had a glum look on my face. This boy who I had never spoken to left his group of friends and walked towards me and stopped right in front of me and said, “You’re really pretty”. I was so shocked by this stranger’s compliment that I couldn’t find words to say thank you for a minute. That really lifted my mood that day! Oh, and one year later, we were dating!

OK this might be my favorite comment. What a cool story Macaira! You just never know what incredible things can come from the smallest comment to a stranger 🙂

5. Andrea says:

Thank you! I just loved this video, I expected to see the first 2 minutes because I thought “this video is too long” but was so beautiful that I ended up watching the full video with a big smile 😀

6. Angel Andrew says:

Finally had time to watch the whole thing! That was awesome! I just HAD to smile! Isn’t it amazing how far a sincere complement will go. No matter how small, it makes a big difference to the person receiving it.

7. Anna says:

I had seen this video before a few years ago. Thank you for reintroducing it. It’s truly one of my favorites and I try to share it with everybody I know 🙂

8. Norma says:

It was well worth it!
    Yes, I remember when I was a young girl I was at a Mall art/ jewelry display and heard a lady say to another lady how pretty and bright my eyes were.

Amazing how some compliments from strangers can be remembered for a lifetime, thank you for sharing Norma!

9. FIFA says:

i have not got what have happened. Moses and the rock or what. i´m not sugar made i can melt.

10. Soulchild says:

This made me cry and made me smile at the same time. So deep. Thank you for bringing our attention to it!

11. Derek says:

Great movie. The problem with only watching the first fews minutes is that we miss the point that validation needs to be a 2 way street and is not sustainable if it’s one way. I agree with your premise that relationships are built on Validation. Affirmation and Compliments, but it is very true also that if it is not reciprocal, then it dies remarkably quickly.

12. .Sy says:

Has a stranger ever affirmed me? I share my music online, so yes, several times, to my surprise. It always makes me realize that there is sense in life; giving back is the key to happiness.

13. Rodrigo Fontes says:

That was an amazing video, actually the best ine that I have seen here. Many days people compliment me because my job (I’m nurse), but despite it I feel bad because it is not what I think about me, and going every day more to depression and got the sensation that I could be a better professional over the person. It’s confuse, but I think I’m defeated and can’t see what the others see in me. Thank you for some how your posts make my life better.

14. mell says:

This is so touching, no one has ever compliment me sincerely in my life :’) but this is really a great video