More times than not, we notice our lack of connection to loved ones long before we identify the reasons why we have drifted apart. For those who need quality time, the reason their love tanks are left empty is because their loved ones are filling them up with words, gifts, and touch; they are forgetting to be present. People who value quality time are longing to simply be together.
To understand love languages see the introductory post here.
The key to quality time is togetherness. People who need quality time will require full, undivided attention. Making plans to hang out while sitting on your phone does not cut it. You need eye contact, listening, no interruptions, the whole shebang! Being present while spending time together is what will encourage true connection.
How do I give quality time?
- Unplug (put the phone down and close your laptop).
- Go on a walk.
- Plan a date (breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee).
- Play 20 questions–get the conversation going!
- Connect right away after a long day.
- Schedule a planning session where you talk about your plans, hopes, and dreams.
- Participate in an activity together (not one with too many distractions).
Remember, it's not about frequent, ordinary time; it's about QUALITY time.