Picture a girl standing in a park holding a kite high into the clouds on a windy day. This is pretty much an illustration of my marriage. As you've guessed, I'm the kite.

Now even though our life can be extreme, risky, spontaneous, and often times straight scary for my wife, she wouldn't have it any other way.

shutterstock_82974301

Most men and women view dreamers as a liability – someone who is so focused on the future they forget to make reality a reality. But like all people groups there are extremes. While some dreamers can be spastic and undisciplined, others can be quite incredible. They can be insightful visionaries, master craftsman, trend-setters, and extraordinary creators.

So are dreamers really as bad as they've been made out to be? No. It turns out having a dreamer as a partner might actually bring some vibrancy to your life. To help you on your journey of defining such a counterpart, I've listed:

5 Reasons You Should Absolutely Date a Dreamer

1. You'll Always Be Encouraged – Dreamers fight for positivity, inspiration, and a wild heart. While many people destroy our desires with negative comments and ungrounded doubts, dreamers will stand behind you with eyes on the horizon cheering you toward your future.

2. They Make Desires a Reality – Dreamers can turn your life from a wish to a walking reality. They have the ability to envision a desirable future with such clarity they can see plainly the steps they must take to get there.

3. You'll Learn More Than You Can Imagine – Dreamers push the limits of society. They challenge the systems of standard thought and create their own path. They're a master of the human condition and are constantly learning, teaching, and becoming.

4. You're life will become an Adventure – Life will become a colorful mosaic of hidden pathways, unexpected beauties, and spontaneous transitions. Going to the grocery store is no longer boring, it's an opportunity to meet new people, buy new foods, and try something you've never done before.

5. They See The Potential in Everything – Dreamers have the rare ability of seeing opportunity and beauty in almost everything. To make experiences bright, optimistic, and exciting.

What about you? Do you have another reason you should date a dreamer? Let me know in the comments below.

Share This Story. Someone you Know Needs to Hear This

69 thoughts on “5 Reasons You Should Absolutely Date a Dreamer

• Ruby says:

Advice from someone who married a dreamer…. marry someone who will allow your head to be up in the clouds, but can keep your feet planted firmly on the ground. Important for you, is to consider the wisdom of others when chasing your dreams.

Nel, what Ruby said is exactly how I feel. My wife keeps me planted but she also lets me be the dreamer I am. Look for someone who is what you are not, it will likely create the perfect balance. πŸ™‚

• Ruby says:

1. Livvie says:

I’m a dreamer, but I’ve let all the put-downs discourage me, now I’m determined to put them in to practice. Thanks!

2. Livvie says:

3. AngelΓ­ says:

Every one can be a dreamer, it is an acttitude thing, also we can help others to became one πŸ™‚

4. AngelΓ­ says:

5. Ella says:

My fiance and I balance each other’s lives. We both suffer from depression but we solve it in different ways. He’s currently a student doctor, he loves philosophy, war strategy, and cooking. I majored in music and love crafting, fantasy books, and theory. We are completely different in our own ways – so even though we each suffer from our own depressions, the other is a dreamer in our eyes. He achieves great things and I’m constantly learning from him (I’m much better at chess). I’m lofty and at times unrealistic, but that keeps him from feeling like he’s grinding into stone to get something out of life.
    Even though we have completely different personalities we are dreamers to each other and that’s what gets us through life.

You really do sound like you have the perfect balance between you two, Ella. That’s what it’s all about!

6. Ella says:

7. Christina Bokros Lowe says:

I just discovered your page via someone’s pinterest and I am soooo inspired!! And you are a follower of Christ! This is so amazing I can hardly stand it!! My husband is a youth pastor in Southern California and he is definitely a dreamer! I love being married to a dreamer. He makes me and my life better every day that he is in it πŸ™‚ Thank you for this post!!!!

Haha I love that, Christina! Thank you so much for your support! So glad to hear your husband is on the “dream team”. Sorry for the cheesiness πŸ˜‰

8. Christina Bokros Lowe says:

9. Danielle Borer says:

This is amazing! I am learning how to be in the present and not let other people define who I am. Thanks for this!

10. Danielle Borer says:

11. Karen Rubin says:

Sevenly is YOUR company? AWESOME! I am crafting a proposal for an organization that has become MY dream. You are one of my kind. Thanks for all you do.

12. Karen Rubin says:

13. chelsea says:

love this! as someone who at times struggles with being married to my dreamer husband-i can personally attest that all of these things ring true for him and for us AND that i wouldn’t have it any other way.

next up on my dreamer’s list…breaking a world record for the largest book signing in on April 16 πŸ™‚ making dreams into reality! thanks for sharing this.

Chelsea, that’s amazing! And yes… my wife would agree that being married to me (a dreamer) isn’t always the easiest thing, but she would say that it’s worth it. She’s my biggest support. Your husband is lucky to have you. πŸ™‚ Good luck on April 16th!

14. chelsea says:

15. Ruby says:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. I married a dreamer too. It has consistently landed us in a lot of trouble financially. I never spoke up (or was asked) b/c I didn’t want to destroy his dreams, and I could tell he was in a place where he wasn’t ready to hear from me, but after 9 years of marriage, I’ve been right every time. I actually wish I had been wrong a few times b/c maybe we’d be in a better place. I don’t want to destroy his ability to dream, but I’m a very practical person, and if he doesn’t take a more practical approach to his dreams we will never improve our life. It’s ok to have your head in the clouds, but you need to keep your feet on the ground at the same time. I’m hoping that over the years, he has learned this lesson. He’s had to go through some really hard knocks in his life b/c of his, and consequently our life together has had some hard times. I hope he can learn from his past, so that I can experience more of the positives that marrying a dreamer has to offer.

Definitely agree. I do have to say that I’ve made my share of mistakes as well, where my feet definitely left the ground. Being a dreamer is a crazy ride, lots of ups and downs. But it’s been worth everything! Your husband is lucky to have you as the practical, well-grounded one. πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing, Ruby!

• HealingfromGod says:

Ruby I would call myself a dreamer as well after developing one of these Christian websites while in college. My wife balances it out though because she is the practical one lol.

16. Ruby says:

• HealingfromGod says:

17. jstreet says:

They’re time management experts. Dreamers hate not dreaming, so the routine tasks that need to be done within the 3 and a 1/2 walls of their cubicle will be swiftly prioritized and taken out of the equation. This frees up the rest of the day to get lost in ones dreamery, or dream scenery (yes, I made up “dreamery”, it’s mine!).

18. jstreet says:

19. Brandon says:

They see adversity as opportunity and they are as steadfast in their integrity as they are in their dreaming ability.

20. Brandon says:

21. Jemma says:

While I agree with most of your article (and I am a dreamer), I have to point out one word in your article that should be changed. Spastic. This is non-inclusive language and offensive. There are many other words you could have used in place of this. Two of my sons were born with cerebral palsy and have spastic quadriplegia. They are beautiful people but have had to deal with cruel comments over the years. Writers are in the position where they can change the attitudes of others with their words. Since this article is on the site, The Daily Positive, please don’t use spastic to portray an inept person.

22. Jemma says:

23. Jemma says:

Re my earlier comment, I was not trying to give you a bad time over the word and I’m sorry if it came out as harsh. I suppose that the word, spastic, has become so ingrained in the language, it is a
    difficult thing to notice when the experience isn’t personal.

24. Jemma says:

difficult thing to notice when the experience isn’t personal.

25. Carli says:

I have to thank you so much for this article. I’ve been struggling with some self-image issues for almost my whole life trying to be something “other” than a dreamer. Sadly this struggle has made me one of the undisciplined, passive dreamers. A week ago today I was begging God to show me why I am the way I am. Tonight I started really delving into your articles and this article has been such a wonderful balm. I am a dreamer. It is good. It is okay. Thank you.

• Flynn Rider says:

My wife wold like for me to become some kind of director in a large company… the only thing that holds me back is if I can remain a dreamer and still be able to care about the individuals who work on my team. The dreamer that I am causes me to think about all the details that make up the much-larger picture of what I have in mind.

26. Mitchiepoo Girtski says:

Can you love a dreamer man, a dreamer man like me

Can you spend a lifetime long wishing you could be

I’ll take you to romantic places, shower you with gold

Through the heavens and stars above never growing old

Castle on a field of green, drawbridge open wide

Gardens in the castle square with places you can hide

Sweet lavender and lilac, sweet music in the air

Dancing in the sunshine, would you even dare

Once I saw a palm tree invite me to its shade

Beneath I sat and wondered how the world was made

By hand of God or was it time I didn’t have a clue

But none of it would matter, if there were no you

Nothing lasts forever, for it’s a long long while

A dreamer man like me will walk a long long mile

To find a place to hang his heart, yet never find a hook

A fairytale of pages in his broken book

Can you love a dreamer man, that’s all I’ll ever be

Can you just pretend I’m the man you want to see

I’ll never shower you with gold or life eternity

Can you ever love a dreamer man a dreamer man like me

27. Deiline says:

I’m quite a dreamer … These reasons describe me particularly the supermarket lol. It’s inspiring to read this type of article because there are not many dreamers who are around me.

28. pastor Godtime says:

i am a dreamer, but i have this question: i only dream and i want to use myself. i want to know when to dream and when doing other stuff,, someone help me out,, i was born with it

29. hopelessromantic says:

Wow and all this time i thought i was alone . I am dreamer. It’s such a beautiful feeling. The love, the passion, the imagination and desire to do everything. I love this article, it made me realize that its ok to be a dreamer as long as i keep my feet on the ground. I married being a dreamer, unfortunately he took advantage and crushed my soul, the hopes and dreams of loving him forever … Now divorced i realize that i had my head in the clouds. I was pretending to feel loved i guess… hopeless romantic. But i am much happier without him now. #nevergiveup #dreamer