We have all been there – in a tough situation that leaves you questioning everything and feeling empty.
Know that you are not alone.
Know that you have the strength and courage to get through this one day at a time. Keep your thoughts positive and your heart open. Be present and grow through this difficult experience.
How To Get Up When You've Been Knocked Down
- Give yourself time to grieve: This is an important first step. Allow yourself time to feel all the mixed real emotions. Anger, sadness, confusion, disappointment, you might be feeling all these at once or going through a rollercoaster of emotions daily. That's ok! If you need a personal day to yourself: take it! If you want to watch netflix and eat ice cream one night: do it! It's all part of healing. Be in tune with what your body needs and if you need a break, take it. Some distraction is helpful allow yourself time to relax and de-stress.
- Keep yourself open: Don’t curl up into a ball and hide, instead reach out to a close friend or family member and lean on him or her. They will help you make positive choices and will help you get back on your feet. They can mentor you on how to handle the next steps and encourage you to stay positive during this difficult time. Keep yourself open and vulnerable – don’t let this one setback affect your whole heart.
- Take some time to cool off and reflect: You have been knocked down and it feels personal. Take some time before you respond or react. Acting out of passion and anger might seem like a good idea in the moment, but will only hurt you more in the long run. If you keep dwelling on this setback, it will only haunt you. Take a walk, put on some music, work on something that makes you happy, and allow yourself to take a mental break.
- Setbacks can be a blessing: If you reflect and learn from your mistakes they can only make you stronger. Take responsibility and grow through the failure. Keep a journal and write down how you are feeling and what you are learning.
“When we tackle obstacles, we find hidden reserves of courage and resilience we did not know we had. And it is only when we are faced with failure do we realise that these resources were always there within us. We only need to find them and move on with our lives.” -A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- Moving on and letting go are both necessary in healing: Think about it – you need to let go in order to move on and you can't move on without really letting go. It takes time and self reflection to bounce back. Allow yourself that time. This setback may not be resolved over night and, depending on the situation, it may never fully go away. Unfortunately, you might not get the closure you need or deserve, but by understanding the situation and rising above it, you can find peace. You will heal and in time the emotions will settle and you will move on. Maybe you'll look back and realize what happened was the best thing for you.
Keep moving forward and always choose the high road!
Here at The Daily Positive we’re all about helping people by providing actionable inspiration for a better life and a better world! And as part of our global community, #teampositive, you can enjoy free resources on a broad range of topics for supporting positivity in all areas of your life. And, we believe that when we all rise up positively, this contributes to the betterment of society, the environment and our world as a whole. Check out our community Positivity Manifesto to learn more.