I’m not a vegetarian. I’m not a crazy PETA fanatic. But I love animals. I believe they are a beautiful piece of a perfect system.

Over the past 20 years we’ve seen our farming and meat production go from honest to efficient to downright evil.

You are personally responsible for becoming more ethical than the society you grew up in.

My wife and I stand strong against companies like Monsanto and companies who support factory farming systems. We eat organic produce, grass-fed meats, and non-gmo foods. We’re homesick for a world who cares about the land, the soil and the animals we eat.

This video below just about BLEW my mind. To people who say animals don’t know the difference between a cramped stall and an open field: YOU ARE WRONG. At the 1:01 mark, you will see true beauty in these wonderful cow.

Do you eat organic? Are you vegan or vegetarian? What motivates you to live a responsible life? Let me know in the comments below.

New in The Daily Positive Shop

70 thoughts on “Whoever Says Animals Don’t Have Emotion, Has Not Seen This Video

1. Monkey-Fromthebridge says:

Ho ! I love the way they jump ! they look so happy. They are really sensible animal these cows, i red somewhere they have best friends in their cattle, and that they stay away from cows they don’t like. I don’t know if it’s true or ifit’s just a joke, but i believe it !

2. Beth says:

I love animals so much, and it makes me incredibly happy to see this video – at the same time, it’s also extremely upsetting that we don’t allow any livestock to live normal, happy lives as they were intended. It also brings up thoughts about Sea World – and how absolutely ridiculous it is for us to capture whales and use them for “entertainment”. I hope the most recent video of that nearly 100 year old whale will let the public realize Sea World has no idea what they’re doing, and never has. Moral is, I’m not quite sure why people ever thought animals wouldn’t have feelings, when we are “animals” ourselves.

I go out of my way to eat organic, grass fed beef, fresh fish (absolutely not farm raised), naturally grown fruits and veggies from local farms, and even when it comes to cleaning supplies and make-up I will buy all natural, and make certain they do not test on animals. It is hard to do at times, and get’s expensive, but it is necessary. I hope and pray for a day that people will wake up and realize what a beautiful place this is and how beautiful animals are before it’s too late!

I agree Beth, it is necessary! These animals are too beautiful to treat so terribly.

3. deniceg says:

Most people don’t know about the battle going on for the wild mustang, the BLM is sneaking them to slaughter becasue $1000 for meat is much better than the $125 adoption fee. We have won a long battle to keep horse slaughter out of our country yet, they can take them across the border to Mexico and Canada. Animals are here to show us what we don’t want and we are finally waking up to this…we are learning that all beings are just a part of whole. We are just a part of the whole and we gain growth and expansion when we come to realize this. I didn’t understand the language but I felt their emotion and cried right along with these people who so deeply wanted to save their cows.

4. Danielle Borer says:

This is wonderful! I try to eat organic as much as possible, which will be easier once I move out of my parents house, because they do not, they think I’m funny. But this video made my heart happy, even if I still eat meat, I hate the factory way.

5. Maggie Brandon says:

Really moving video. Unfortunately, I eat the foods that I can afford to eat. I am in a food desert. There are no local farmers near me. Eating is such an intimate and necessary part of life. There should be more universal sensitivity. I wish organically grown foods were standard for everyone and that no one would have to be hungry, malnourished or be in suspense about what they are eating.

6. NAN752 says:

This was an uplifting and incredibly strong video.Cows to me, are beautiful, sweet, intelligent creatures and have beautiful souls.Many blessings to that farmer and his family that saved them and will continue to do so.

7. Allyx says:

I love animals, Most people who know me know of my animal obsession. But I also eat meat. I LOVE to eat meat. God created animals for humans to consume; But He also asked us to eat meat sparingly. I don’t believe that America does this, it is mass produced and from videos that I have seen I can understand why people would want to become vegetarian. I don’t support the way that large meat companies do business, so instead of not eating meat, i don’t eat fast food as much as possible. And When we get a house I plan to raise and butcher my own meat. πŸ™‚

• Dave Brink says:

You love animals. It must be terrible to have to eat the creature you love so dearly. You cry every time you chow down on a strip of pig, a piece from a cow or the leg of a chicken?

• TrishMDawson says:

I’ve heard many people say ‘I’d love to be able to raise and butcher my own food’ and it always makes me laugh (on the inside, and not from humor) because the fact is, most would not actually be able to do that. This would include slicing throats, using bolt guns or other tools, and it would be a bloody, vicious and gruesome sight. I live in California, and I’ve lived on the East Coast so I’ve seen all sorts of people who catch or raise their own food…there truly are people that hunt and DO skin, clean and butcher what they kill. But 99% of those people also live within driving distance of a grocery store. In America, where the factory farming industry is intentionally hidden from the public, so consumers don’t truly know where their food came from, it’s possible for most to either have a garden of their own, shop in a grocery store or order food online, or find other means to supply food to their families that doesn’t include dead flesh. It baffles me that processed foods, meats and dairy and non-organics are usually cheaper than what truly is better for us and the environment – fresh plant based foods, organically grown. I used to think the same, ‘I love animals!’ but since I’ve made the connection that one can’t truly ‘love all animals’ then turn around and ‘eat some animals’ I’ve begun to look at the world differently. It’s all about supply and demand – the animal factory food industry – and the less demand, the less supply. We do have the power to change the way things are, but it will take a considerable amount of concerned and compassionate individuals to make this happen. My tastebuds do not miss steak, fish, eggs, chicken, etc… because now I see it as something dead, not as food. Maybe one day you can too. πŸ™‚

8. J says:

Maybe there just stretching their legs, or maybe their jumping for joy, I have no idea. O and god didn’t create animals for humans to consume, that sounds like some crazy non-critical thinking right there. I mean, I eat meat, I just don’t think that if god exists he created other life forms to serve you. Anyway, eat meat, but no need to have animals suffer for an increased profit margin. (Lookin at you Monsanto, Tyson, etc.)

“Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.” -Genesis 9:3. It is definitely written in the bible that man has dominion over the animals and was given them to eat if he should choose, but whether you believe it is your choice. (: Thanks for sharing your perspective

• Lisa says:

That was an “allowance” after the Flood, when there was basically no plant life. There was meat-eating only after sin, in the context of the sacrificial system. Before sin man and animals ate only plants, which was the original intent (as Gen. 9:3 references–Gen. 1:29, 30). It could also be noted that the typical “two-by-two” story of the animals boarding the Ark is not entirely accurate. Seven of each of all the “clean” animals were aboard the Ark, with only two of each of the “unlcean” animals (Gen. 7:2,3). There were more of the “clean” animals saved for purposes of sacrifices and eating. The “unclean” animals were not eaten. (For “definitions” of clean and unclean see Leviticus 11.)

• stvn knt says:

Thank you for that information (Lisa), I always thought there was 2 of every animal on the Ark. I read the Bible on a regular basis, don’t know how missed that. Lol, but every time you read will find new things out. : ) . STVN

• ivonne says:

dominion means to take care of not to enslave. It also says, thou shall not kill, in the bible as well. Tell me again what part of slaughter doesn’t involve killing….

9. Holly Arizona says:

This is so incredible. There are really no words to describe just how much I love this. You can just see the love that they have for those cows. Its refreshing. When my grandpa was still alive he had cows and I would go feed them with him all the time, so when my brother told me where the meat we ate came from ( I was 5 or 6) I refused to eat it anymore, lol. Luckily I had a very understanding mother who didn’t force me to eat meat and I’m still a vegetarian to this day. I don’t feel as though I’ve missed out on anything. But I know being vegetarian is definitely not for everyone πŸ™‚

So glad I stumbled upon this post.

• Sara Rogers says:

You are an incredible person!! You have it completely right. You go girl!! Teach these other vegans to be like you. πŸ˜‰

10. kay says:

this is truly amazing. I have been around cows a good part of my life and I have NEVER seen 1 cow let alone 20 be that happy. they know they got a second chance at life.

11. MΓ΄nica Becker says:

I don’t eat meat because:
    1 – I don’t want to. I’m not a slave of my food, and my food is not my slave. I don’t want to participate on the suffering of an animal, they have a family and they have emotion. I don’t want to contribute with a system which I don’t agree with.
    2 – I don’t need to. Until now I have no health problems for not eating meat, quite the opposite I’ve been eating much more healthy stuff and almost none industrialized food. With the help of a nutricionist I make blood checks from time to time, and the results are very good.
    3 – I don’t like it. I’ve never been a fan of meat, and now that don’t it eat anymore I started to find it kinda disgusting. I love vegetarian cooking, it is so diverse and always have something to try out.

So, I don’t judge people who eat meat, but I like to encourage at least a reflexion on this. If you like meat very much or feel like it would be too difficult to stop eating it, you don’t need to turn into a vegetarian, but think about the industry you’ve been funding and about your health. For example, the lifestyle Dale has is very responsible, and still he eats meat. You don’t need to be radical, you just need to be true to what you think is right. πŸ™‚

12. Heather says:

How can the author say he loves animals and then eat them after watching this video? What a hypocrite! The only way to love animals and mean it is to go vegan. Thank you for the beautiful video though!

13. Heather says:

Let me find you a good video of an “organic” slaughterhouse. Hint: it looks exactly like a factory farm one and the cows are just as terrified while watching their companions being killed.

14. Maeveee says:

I’m vegetarian purely due to the fact that humans can survive without meat in their diet so why slaughter thousands of innocent animals just because we feel like it??

• Dave Brink says:

Humans can survive without cheese and eggs as well. Dairy cows and hatch hens all go to the slaughter once they are “spent”. How can a vegetarian refuse to support meat for obvious reasons, yet support the horrific industries of dairy and eggs?

15. Dave Brink says:

Don’t go telling people how much you love animals when you pay for them to be killed so you can chow down on their flesh. Maybe you love your pet, I surely believe that, but the animals who died for your palate pleasure have no other meaning for you besides being a meal. Yummie, right? At least be honest about it.

• Allyx says:

I don’t think I have been dishonest about it… God created certain animals for eating, and certain animals for companions.

• Dave Brink says:

God does not force you to kill animals and feast on their flesh and bodily secretions. That’s your own decision. I think God would not mind if you let animals live, so you don’t have an excuse to hide behind Him. You have your own free will.
        You want animals to die for your pleasure and convenience. Simple as that.

• Allyx says:

πŸ™‚ I’m not hiding. God doesn’t force me to be a good person either. He doesn’t force anyone to do anything. He gives permission for us to eat them. πŸ™‚

16. Renee Aleshire says:

Some of these comments are horrible. Anyone trying to make a difference for these animals helps. Some people can’t just eat anything they want, for one I can’t have soy due to a thyroid condition and my mother can’t have raw vegetables or fruit due to colitis. I prefer not to eat mammals and choose only humane certified other food products. I feel if all people would make an effort to make changes it will tremendously. And all people should be encouraged for their efforts and not judged for their choices.

• Sara Rogers says:

Agreed 110%. The Vegans on here get nasty. I don’t stand for abuse either. But we should support others who don’t, too.

• Csdferh Bdgdwhu says:

You have what I have but I still eat vegan food, vegan is not a raw diet by default btw and tofu/soya is not the be all and end all of vegan protein, you still have over 50 different nuts and legumes to choose from. In the age of information and technology not researching alternatives is just plain laziness and excuses for apathy.

• TrishMDawson says:

Hi Renee! My Mom has had horrible inflammations from her colitis…and yes, some things that have smart parts, like berry seeds, are a big no-no for her. With that said, there are a ton of great plant-based foods that she can still eat and manage her colitis. If a Dr told your mom to eliminate fruits and veggies, get a new Dr. Consult a nutritionist, perhaps. There are healthy ways for her manage her condition, and animal products do far more harm to our bodies than plants. I also am very careful with soy. Many meat replacement products contain soy, but it’s not what one must live off of if they switch to a plant based diet. You have tons of options, is what I mean. πŸ˜€ As with ANY diet, health needs, moderation and common sense matter. I honestly believe our bodies are designed to accept plant based diets over carnivorous ones. And by now, most of us know of all of the health issues associated with diets containing meat and dairy. I wish you luck and hope you do some more research, even if it’s just committing to Meatless Mondays as a start! πŸ™‚

17. Heidi Elizabeth says:

If you actually cared about the animal you ate you wouldn’t have killed it.. put a fork in it… Sent it through your digestive system for no good reason. Taking it’s life away is NOT caring for it. There is no such thing as humane slaughter. It’s murder. You are murdering beautiful animals you say you care about… Does that make any sense?! No. Come on!!. There is no good reason you need to murder them. Let them live! Care for them completely and fully and stop killing them. I also don’t understand how you think we have enough space to raise enough grass fed animals for everyone for slaughter hah that’s a joke! ANYONE who eats meat is contributing to factory farming and the abuse of animals. Anyways… No matter where your meat comes from, killing an animal IS abuse. Is it not? I used to eat animal until I thought to myself one day… why do we cuddle dogs and put forks in cows? Why do we pet our cats and chew on the flesh of pigs? πŸ™ I hope you will make the connection.

• Allyx says:

I do not believe it is murder. They are not people. I hope that someday you will make the connection. But probably not. Neither of us is going to dissuade the other.

18. Sara Rogers says:

I Love how you and your wife feel about animals and about Monsanto. It feels so good to know that there are other people out there like myself, that feel the exact same way I do about these things. It’s very comforting. Please don’t stop caring or being strong and standing up for what you believe. And that goes to everyone. Much Love and honor,
    –Sara

19. debbie says:

It is not ethical to eat animals. There is NO such thing as humane slaughter. Those 2 words do not fit together. All animals want to live.

20. Tina Petkovic says:

Dear Dale, fighting for animal rights is neither crazy nor fanatic. It’s just standing up for feeling, aware and beautiful creatures that can’t speak for them selves. Is it crazy to not eat meat or is it crazy to confine a being to a life of slavery, torture and horror just to eat some of it’s flesh or wear it’s skin or fur? You and your family are on the right path. Take the next step and go veg!

21. Coco 5389 says:

I absolutely love animals and I think this video comes to show that just like people, animals, all animals, have tons of emotion… Tis why I’m a vegan at the age of 12… They deserve love and care.

22. Mary Prubant says:

Dear Dale: I am confused. You start by making it clear you are not a vegetarian, you then denounce PETA and insult it’s members (of which I am one). You say they are ‘crazy’. You then introduce a video with preamble that contradicts everything you just said previously. What I see happening here is that you, like many people who claim to love animals, are experiencing cognitive dissonance. You’re only willing to go so far when it comes to taking a stand for animals. It is obvious that the cows jumping and running when released into the pasture are experiencing joy. You say you are ‘homesick for a world who cares…about the animals we eat.’ What kind of caring is it that leads to an animal being killed? This concept that some people have that it’s ok to kill the animal as long as we give them a good life up until that moment, is wrong. Why kill the animal at all? They enjoy life – your own video proves it – and will fight to save themselves when facing slaughter.

23. Heidi Bee says:

I have been a vegetarian for two of my seven decades and am healthier than I have ever been. I have lost weight and gotten rid of migraines although I gave flesh up for compassionate reasons. I want to see a world where cows and sheep are ‘retired’ when milking or wool harvesting stops. Using male cow babies can be avoided as there’s no need for insemination with a male zygote or embryo (so no more consumption of babies). In Germany they have figured out how to determine the gender of a chick that is forming (so no more grinding male babies). Eliminate the MURDER and treat the animal with the respect they deserve. Micropigs can become pets. There is a niche for everyone. Otherwise animals who have served humanity go down the dinosaur path. JUST STOP THE MURDER AND THE PAIN!!! We don’t eat humans when they become too old to work. NO! Don’t get any ideas here people!

24. Shelley McCoy says:

I read Woodsong by Gary Paulsen, heard a talk by Ajahn Brahm, & saw a video about slaughterhouses. Simply can’t eat warm blooded animals any more.

25. Michelle says:

Hi Dale, I don’t understand how you can say that you care so much about animals yet basically put down vegetarianism and the work of PETA. An animal suffers no less because it has been grass fed. It’s life is still taken away without its consent. How can you continue to eat animals with the images from your video in your mind?

• malfunctioned says:

Exactly! I was just thinking the EXACT same thing (makes things even funnier, knowing we share the same first name! lol ;)).

Dale,how can you deem PETA supporters as ‘crazy people’? I think there are people that have opened their eyes to animal suffering and do something about it, and want to do more about it beyond their own homes.
      They want to spread awareness amongst others, in the hopes of opening even more eyes! No one is telling you to “put down your steak!” but all they
      (or ‘we’ because apparently I’m one of those crazies you talk about, even though PETA is not my most favorite animal rights organization, but alas) are doing is trying to open your eyes and see that beef for what it really is and once was, and what (or rather, who) it could’ve still been today!

Dale, I think you are not far from making the connection and actually stepping up to the plate and changing your lifestyle for the better of the environment, animals and your own health
      πŸ™‚ Maybe someday we can even see you join the world of the “crazies”! πŸ˜‰

26. TrishMDawson says:

I love this video…it’s one of my favorites and I’ve played it for my kids many times. I think that in our day in age, animals are no longer seen as a part of the balance of nature, merely objects to own, use, train, entertain and yes, consume. It’s wonderful to hear of someone’s love for animals, as written in this post, but it’s disturbing to hear one say they love animals, then justify killing and eating them. I won’t get preachy, as it’s not my place to judge someone I don’t know. I’m a vegetarian myself, in the process of transitioning into veganism. When I was a carnist, I felt exactly how you did, Dale. I loved animals, had always been raised around them, and I told myself on a regular basis I was one of the good humans out there, doing my part. But then I made the connection. Most of us are raised in families that eat animal parts, it’s what we know. But part of being a responsible adult (and even children are able to make the connection – with ease) is to step back from what we know and what we’ve been taught, and do our own research, our own soul-searching, as you will. I doubt anyone who eats meat would pick one of the cows from this video and say, ‘That one…that’s the one I’ll have slaughtered and pulled apart so I can fill my fridge with steak.’ Because that person has seen these cows as something other than food. No one can force a carnist to make the connection – it will happen in their own time, if they are open to it. It happened to me, as it happened to most people on a plant-based diet. It’s been 6.5 years now since I stopped eating meat, 5 yrs since I’ve stopped eating eggs and most dairy. My 12 year old chose to go veggie with me, so it’s been half her life, and all of her 7yr old’s life, not eating animals. We will never go back to the way we were before – which was basically hypocritical. It might sound harsh, but I had to hit rock bottom. I had to watch the PETA videos and see what humans really do to animals (factory farming, fur industry, animal testing, entertainment industry, etc…) and I had to feel like utter shit before I realized I was more part of the problem than any solution. This is what all vegetarians and vegans want from our friends and family – for them to be part of the solution, not the problem. It’s not okay for us to attack each other, as this doesn’t help. Knowledge, awareness and basic compassion is enough for most moral individuals to come to their own conclusions about their lifestyle and what side of this fence they want to be on. We are all connected – human, animal, planet – we all matter. If you ever want to watch a documentary that’s not full of the worse things you can see, and hits deep in the feels, try watching Earthlings. Or you can listen to what Melanie Joy says about this subject. In a beautiful and non judgmental way, she helps explain why we love some animals, and eat others. Her talk Carnism: The Psychology of Eating Meat is a wonderful place to start. Seriously, it’s all about making the connection. Happy New Year to you and yours!

• TrishMDawson says:

And obviously I meant my 12 year old’s 7 year old *brother*, not her own kid. Major typo on my part. LMAO

• Blynne says:

Very well written, Trish. I completely agree with everything you’ve so eloquently stated. I do hope that one day, every human being on the planet will wake up and “get it”. Until then … even if this story helps just ONE person make the connection, it will have had an impact and helped make a difference.

27. Fani says:

God Bless you people. Cows don’t usually run. Much less jump. Im going to be a vegetarian after this. Bless the cows and all animals that get led to slaughter outside of illness. Maybe our world should just rid people who are cruel to women children and animals. Take them to slaughter instead of helpless animals. ❀

28. Consuelo says:

I became vegetarian 11 years ago. I do my my best to find locally sourced “certified humane”, organic products because I feel we need to start respecting all living beings on this planet. Thank you for sharing this. I also donate to WWF & look forward to donating more to severe other animal organizations.❀️????????

29. DONNA says:

Im a vegetarian, cows are wonderful gentle creatures, who recognise each other, I find it heartbreaking when their baby calves are torn from them , and they cry for days ,I have heard this for myself, we should now respect all life, every animal has family, feelings. and a right to its own life . THEY ARE NOT HERE JUST FOR OUR BENEFIT.

30. Gerry says:

This looks like our dairy heifers when they are turned out to pasture in the spring…Not because they were tied up in the barn, cause they were in free stalls ( where they could get up and move around at their will )…. It’s just because they feel so free when turned out into the Open spaces and Green Grass……Always Love Watching Them.!!! (( Cows will do the same thing, when they Are OUT To Pasture, and they get Out of the pasture…through a broken fence, or the like—-and they come into our driveway, they’ll buck and kick and act like calves )) It doesn’t take too much to make cattle happy!!!!!!!! LOL.!!

31. Lourdes Cruz says:

This is awesome…I am a vegetarian almost vegan 95% of my time for 2 years. It was a video that change my perspective and never again I touch meat, poultry or fish and been learning and transitioning to vegan. Recently my doctor made a full check including by my petition b-12, d and e vitamin check and he told me, please keep doing whatever you are doing. You are 50 years and your analysis came back perfect! I might need to learn from you.

When I decide to change my life as I know due to a video that shows why our body should not process animals food, cruelty and planets benefits,I took 2 weeks to LEARN how to eat and even subscribe to a cooking class via Green Peas…this helps a lot and it is possible, it is the best change I made in my life.

To enjoy health and good weight is a plus… To have a happy heart for the animals and share our wonderful planet, just filled my heart! Thanks for sharing that beautiful video.

32. Vicki Strickland says:

If you can see this and continue to eat them, you’re missing the entire point. Do those feelings and emotions go away as they die, or are they terrified? Watch more videos and you’ll know, starting with “Earthlings.” And even if you are kidding yourself about the animal’s pain, you cannot deny that animal agriculture is destroying planet Earth. Another movie, “Cowspiracy,” points out that the planet does not contain enough land for all cows to be grass-fed and roam free. It’s simply not there. I’m serious. You’re part way there, but you’re kidding yourself. Please watch Cowspiracy for the rest of the truth.

33. Katie-O says:

I’m clearly late to the party, since most everybody commented over a year ago. But here I go anyway… The veg*ans made a lot of excellent points… but there are a few things I want those who believe God put animals here for our use to think about: God’s original design was/heaven is vegan – babies crawling around with cobras and wolves and lambs and everyone living together harmoniously (NOT eating/torturing each other). Someone else made the point that the Bible has clearly stated in all of its iterations, “Thou Shalt Not Kill” – that was a complete sentence; it did not go on to specify “only humans.” Earlier versions of the Bible state that God has given us plants to eat (somewhere along the line, it was changed to include animals, because people wanted it to include animals so they wouldn’t feel guilty about eating them). The Bible was written by men (after the fall of man), not God, and they could write whatever they wanted… So, you’ve got to consider, would any loving God be even remotely okay with humans doing what is done to non-human animals – God’s creation? If God intended for humans to do what is done to animals, why would he give them brains and central nervous systems so that they can feel pain, feel emotion, and suffer? (Note: God did leave plants without the ability to feel pain and emotion, so…). Put yourself in God’s position for a minute – Say you hire someone to watch your children while you’re out, you leave them a kitchen full of plant foods to eat, but when you return, you find they decided to slaughter your children (non-human animals are also God’s children! If you don’t believe that, imagine they killed your animal companions instead) and eat them (while also trashing your house and making themselves sick). Would you be cool with that?! Humans are here to take care of this planet and its inhabitants, and instead we’ve chosen to violently destroy God’s creation. You’d better hope God shows you more mercy than you have shown the tens-of-billions of land animals and trillions of sea life killed each year for human use, consumption, and entertainment.