I doubt there is a better place to learn about authentic attraction than in the middle of a marriage.

Marriage is one of the few places you can find raw truth, passionate love, and perspective beyond physical features.

Veronica and I have been married for five years and I think I've heard just about every tip and trick to up my score on the attraction meter. But what's fascinating is how easy some of them are. And consequently, how lazy I can be. 😉

1. The Power of Regular Haircuts

While my life long dream is to have a ponytail with a beard, I am shocked when I look in the mirror after a haircut. I look clean… and then I wonder why I waited so long to go to the barber. Hair is one of those parts of the human body that can look incredible or nasty. Women desire cleanliness and regular haircuts are an easy way to advance your attraction meter.

2. The Secret of Cologne

I call it “love at first sniff.” In animals and humans, scent plays a larger role in attraction than you might realize. We are good, however, at generalizing smells: edible, toxic, irritating, sensual or in my case, a whole evil category called “peanut butter” (i'm addicted). In a recent poll of over 1,000 women, results show ladies are willing to be closer to men based on smell alone. And shockingly, it plays a major role in the chances of a first date. So pick up an expensive bottle of peanut butter… I mean cologne and give yourself a spray once per day.

3. Suits For Women Are Like Lingerie For Men

I heard this statement while listening to my wife and her friends discussing men's style. Jackpot! I wear a suit around the house all the time now. Not really. While a suit might not be a regular garb for your lifestyle, throw it into the mix every now and again. But make sure it fits and matches. The influence of a strong collar, shiny shoes, a nice belt, stylish socks, and a classy watch are almost as powerful as the suit itself.

4. Exercising Your Daily Gentleman

Ever noticed good looking women with mediocre guys? It's likely connected to his ability to harness his “inner-gentleman”. There's a good book for married couples titled “Sex Begins in The Kitchen” which discusses how intimacy for a women starts with an emotional connection. Having a great conversation, cleaning up the house or opening the car door are good places to start.

5. Healthy Lifestyle

The pursuit of a healthy body and diet are a good sign of self stewardship. I'm not talking about body-mastering to the point of fitness addiction either. Just basic healthy decisions in your normal life. Women are often attracted to maturity and responsibility, and by maintaining this type of lifestyle, you are showing her how much you care about the elements of life which truly matter.

6. Prayer Can Be Sexy?

For my marriage, my wife loves to see me close to God. To have the discipline to wake up each morning and lay our family's health and protection in front of the Lord is a sign of humility and meekness. She feels protected when she knows my heart is chasing after righteousness and the things which are wholesome and pure.

7. Showers Solve Most Problems

If my wife had her way, I would take a shower twice per day. Who has time for that? And even though I struggle in this department, I try to get in at least once per day. Men, if you're an every other day bather, you might want to double up and see if your attraction meter doubles as well.

So ladies… If your man woke up, prayed, exercised, got a haircut, took a shower, put on a stylish outfit, sprayed some cologne, and told you how beautiful you were all in the same day, how would it make you feel?

95 thoughts on “7 Incredibly Easy Things Guys Can Do to Make Themselves More Attractive

1. Cloclo says:

I love your blog.i receive an update of your blog everymorning when i wake up.sometimes,you change my whole day just because of what i read on your blog.thank you! 🙂

2. AmyS says:

These are heartfelt and very true from my perspective. I can accept that we get comfortable in a marriage but things like treating your wife in a gentlemanly manner is important and, with little effort, makes a woman feel womanly. I appreciate your daily positives. 🙂

3. Jess says:

My love actually does all of these lol and yes it works! I love when I can see him really trying to grab my attention by doing small things 🙂

4. Chelsea O says:

You hit the nail on the head! I’m not married but these are things that I desire in my future husband among being successful and driven!

5. Cc says:

Everything but the cologne! Check with your lady before spraying, men, to make sure she doesn’t have an allergy to it! 🙂

6. Angel Andrew says:

That is awesome! I concur that this is true! Especially #2 – Once my friend and I were in the grocery store and a man walk passed us…we got one whiff of his cologne, turned around and started following him! Ha!Ha!

However, I really appreciate #6 – prayer. A man who is close to God is one who wins my heart!

7. Colier says:

Very good article and hit the nail on the head on most of these. Your wife sounds incredibly picky as far as the cologne and showers go. I like the natural smell of a clean man. Not a big cologne freak since some seems to shower twice daily using nothing BUT cologne. And suits are good, but I go gaga for a guy in a tucked-in button down shirt and blue jeans if they fit right.

• guest says:

Right on with those jeans and a cool shirt oh yeah. …Zac Brown song— jeans that fit just right and fried chicken on a Saturday night…lol

Haha! I don’t see my wife as being picky, she just appreciates when my hygiene is exceptional. 😉 And I totally know what you mean. It doesn’t have to be a suit – but you get the idea. They just need to take care of themselves.

• Colier says:

Exactly. BTW, your wife may not be INCREDIBLY picky, but she’s definitely picky – she picked you out of the lot. (HA!)

8. Jen says:

Embellishment on #4 – That great conversation needs to happen wit the opportunity for eye contact. It’s one thing to be talking while working side-by-side, like in the kitchen; however, nothing is a bigger turn-off than when a man is supposedly engaged in what you’re saying but is, say, flipping through the programming guide or Netflix queue. It’s very hard to feel important or cherished when your partner is sending the signal that your conversation isn’t quite stimulating enough so he has to compensate with some other brain-busyness. 😉

9. stephanie says:

Now…vice versa; what are the seven most incredible easy things us ladies can do to attract the men to us?

10. Mary says:

I love this article it’s so true. A haircut and a spray of cologne can go along way.. everything you suggested was spot on!

11. guest says:

Yes, it’s all true…..but watch out because if you like the way your man is looking and smelling good and acting like a true gentleman, someone will come along and flirt and flatter him. I sure hope he can be a man up and smile and say no Thanks, I have the most beautiful wife at home I don’t cheat on her. I believe in marriage. See ya…..

12. Carlos Erickson Siburian says:

i like the prayer part.. but i am still struggling to spend the prayer time.. thx for the inspirations.. Gb

13. Angela says:

Awesome post! Men should never underestimate the power of good grooming-keep those fingernails trimmed, shower daily (and a few other incidentals LOL) and we’re yours for life!

14. TheTruth says:

For all those men who follow those steps and are now “Attractive”, they need to have a top 10 list to be given to those men of “women to avoid” so their attractiveness isn’t wasted on a woman who doesn’t dress up, doesn’t shower, doesn’t do her hair daily, has a bad & negative attitude, doesn’t exercise, doesn’t eat healthy, doesn’t clean up the house, doesn’t cook dinner or stays home all day watching tv and doing nothing but expects to spend “his” money.
    Remember Gentlemen… don’t put in all that work for a woman who won’t also put in that same amount of work otherwise you are settling for less.

Well, true beauty is of course, on the inside. These are all just tips to help guys clean up.. but yes we should all be taking care of ourselves 🙂

• Anonymus says:

She sounds depressed, or you may be a husband bully/abuser, and making her feel depressed. Do you cook? do you clean? do you buy her the clothes, you want her to dress up in, how does the house get messed up? Buying a barbie doll and playing with it, may be helpful, because that perfect woman in your comment, does not exist. If she was being treated well, she would WANT to do the above. A woman blooms well, like a well watered cared for plant. She blooms and thrives with the LOVE of a man.

• self worth :) says:

i don’t think a woman needs a mans love to be the best she can be. Women and men don’t need each other to bloom and thrive.

15. sheila says:

Hi Dale! I just Pinned this to my Inspiration Board on Pinterest. Your article is 100% on point. Each number is a must for me. I’m so glad I came across this – there’s nothing like a good smelling, well groomed, and handsomely dressed man! Definitely going to share this with my man – thanks for the tips!

16. Capriel says:

For the most part, my husband does most of these. The exercise part would thrill me a lot, as I and he both know it would be beneficial in the long run. As full time missionaries in a consistently warmer climate the suit wearing is on the bottom of the list as 1) He no longer owns one and 2) right now I can’t imagine when he’d wear it. That being said, he is VERY fetching in a suit and I know at some point suits will play a part in our lives again. I can wait.
    Otherwise, Great list!

17. PatienceFaithReward says:

I must say, you hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add is refraining from partaking in some “manly” bodily functions. Somethings should only be shared with fellow men or maybe not at all, but especially not your wife. Gross! LOL

18. anonymus says:

Love love the smell of a clean man, I mean a head to to wash, no washing up, it is a waste of time. After a good shower and a touch of good cologne, if you are looking to be near a woman, this is a #1 tip.

19. Sherry Clift says:

I have to brag on my husband – he was a bachelor for a long time and he has always been charming and popular with women but he was still a guy. He wouldn’t shower on his days off, unless he had a date, and he wore t-shirts and jeans with holes and basically didn’t put much thought in his appearance unless there was a specific reason. I am proud to say that now he thinks about what he is going to wear in public, even if I’m not there, because he likes to tell people what good care I take of him and how happy he is to be married and he makes a point to shower even on his days off! LOL When you find a man who cares enough about you to do these simple things you have a keeper. I love mine!

20. Tango says:

I think I am either being tested or my one and only is on another continent. I agree with all of this, and every woman I have ever gotten close to has told me I smell so good! However, I somehow end up with women who are not ready to commit to marriage or those who scare me away within the first five minutes of knowing them. I definitely believe in showers and I have no beef at all with twice a day, especially if we are going out for the evening.
    I have been single now for nearly 14 years and in that time, I have dated and had several relationships. My most recent was long distance of 280 miles and it lasted 3 years. I have several suits in my closet and I have even learned to cook for myself. I know True Love is out there, for I was raised with an example of it with my parents. However, it has seemed to somehow elude me.
    I know one thing though…for every time it hasn’t worked out, I know when I do find True Love, it will be my Heaven on earth and I know my Sweet Angel will be the happiest woman on the planet and people will look at us together and ask “How did you get what you have together? We want what you guys have”! I will just have to say “It takes a lot of risk and heartache and skinned up knees from falling when the limb breaks, but eventually, you get to the best fruit out on the limb and grab it before the limb breaks”!!!
    Still Looking,
    Terry L. Thornock, 54, Idaho Falls, Idaho
    flyintango@yahoo.com

Haha wish I could speak into this, but all I can do is remind you there is a plan! There is always a plan in action.

• Zhi says:

Prior to posting this I took a look at who you are, at least who is portrayed by various articles and social media posts. You sound like a good person who is trying to do some good in the world, but suggesting that the role of women is to follow is pretty, well, oppressive, narcissistic and patriarchal. How about not having an oppressive view of women to look more attractive? Equal participation in life should just be how we are. Always. Not just during a moment to try and convince yourself, women and/or others that you are a good man. I’m certain that if a woman realized that you actually recognized her as an equal that you would become exponentially and permanently more attractive – not just temporarily more attractive. Nearly all of your suggestions are just an attempt at momentary attractiveness. Can you not see that? I’d also bet all that I have that if the Jesus you worship wrote this list that it wouldn’t include haircuts, cologne, suits, periodic expression of equality, or showers. I hope some day you can take a real step back and realize your extremely westernized, patriarchal world view.

21. Alyssa Page says:

Sure it’s nice to be clean and smell good, but I agree 100% with your wife that a suit is as sexy as lingerie. My husband is an engineer/machinist/brewer (lots of titles lol), but none of them require a suit daily. But when a suit is on, rawr! I think it boils down to primal instinct. Men seek women who are beautiful and healthy enough for child bearing purposes mostly, women seek men who look powerful to fulfill our primal need for protection and support us in raising a prosperous family. But really the most incredibly sexy things are a man who can make us laugh and hold an intelligent conversation, never leaving much room for a dull day in our married lives. 😉

22. christina says:

I tell my husband all of these things every week 🙂 He is staring to pick it up after 2 years of marriage 🙂

23. Magdalen says:

I realize that I’m a bit late to the game, but I will give my two cents anyway. This post seems to put women into a very simple and superficial classification. Also, these seven bits of advice play way too close to the typical gender norms than I am comfortable with. We live in 2015, most people now understand that statements like “women desire” or “women are often attracted to” are silly. I mean, yes, I am attracted to maturity and responsibility, but so are most well adjusted adults; and, for the record, my husband is much more concerned with cleanliness than I am. I understand that the purpose of this post was to inspire “easy” ways to be more attractive, but I mean, I’m sorry, just because you cut your hair and wear cologne does not mean a women is going to be into you. That’s borderline offensive, actually. There are many many more important things to work on if you want to be the kind of man who is attractive and a smart girl is not going to be nearly as concerned with what you are wearing or how your hair looks, than what your heart and mind are like.

• Heidi Forse says:

“that’s borderline offensive” should be in the most used phrases of 2015. Sheesh. You choose to be offended by someone else’s opinion. So what? Lighten up.

24. Zack Hurst says:

Magdalen: I appreciate your point of view but I disagree with your statement about haircuts making girls interested in men. This is not a pick up artist article. I see where you are coming from but it misses what he is saying. He is saying that proper and consistent grooming makes you more attractive not that it will make girls hang off of you. Social norms and gender roles are in play here but it is not offensive to most readers because it simply is an observation that frankly is true. If you properly groom and smell nice you are more likely to be attractive. It is not saying that everyone has to do this or you are ugly or unmasculine or that every single woman wants every single thing on the list. Do you have a problem with a guy or girl showering regularly? What’s the problem with a guy smelling nice rather than smelling like his gymn bag? What’s wrong, if he so chooses, with wearing a suit? I love wearing suits! What’s wrong with a man being a gentlemen occasionally? If he has God, what is wrong with that? These are simple suggestions of what will help men be more appealing in an overall aspect which is basic common sense anyway. You are more attractive if you are clean and smell good. Very offensive. While you have a complete right to your opinion, I am struggling to find anything blatantly or subtly offensive even when I try to look at it through your eyes. Combating gender roles is necessary when they promote or promulgate negative self identity and patriarchal oppression but is trivial/moot when it does neither of these things especially when it’s audience is men who already identify with their gender. I do not see an overarching malignancy with gender roles unless they are malignant. I am a man and I absolutely feel great in my gender role because that is who I am. What is wrong with that? If I had different aversions and this gender role was stifling that would be a different argument but gender roles in of themselves are not harmful. The choice to adhere to or reject gender roles are ALSO people’s decision and that ultimately is what the gender roles discussion comes down to: the ability to choose your gender without judgment and social pressure to adhere to it. When you negate a man or women for identifying better to a more traditional gender role over, for a man, putting on pantyhose or a woman wearing a man’s haircut with dickiess shorts it is still judging and socially pressuring people to adhere to gender roles rather it be an androgynous one or a traditional one.

25. A says:

well, you seem like the kind of man who is genuine, and who would try his best to keep his wife happy. I mean after all you do reflect your significant other, and vise versa.
    Unfortunately, my mentality differs. I am extremely picky to whom I give myself to.
    I was married for almost 2 years to an abusive mental narcissist( who hasn’t filed me my divorce papers yet, but that’s another story)
    Anyways, I’ve learned that marriage is a two way street in which you have to compromise, trust one another, be honest (ALWAYS), and never take the other for granted. Because in 10 years from now when the love is much less these traits will remain.
    I believe that a man/woman must be clean, it’s not an option.
    Prayers are only for God, or else they mean nothing.
    Me, as a woman, I love taking care of myself, my skin, my hair, my body; but that’s just me, and I really don’t care if the other person didn’t because I wouldn’t choose a disgusting guy in the first place.
    You see, in making these kinds of decision it’s really necessary to remain picky, because your life is all you have, and in order to share it with someone this person has to raise his standards in order to deserve you.
    Strong women have high standards and never settle for a man. And if someone tries to change you, then you might not be the person for them in the first place.
    Love yourself, embrace yourself, know your self worth. And never ever, settle for less than what you deserve.

Don’t get me wrong though, if you “choose” to do that for someone, then Veronica is one lucky girl.

26. Mr. Nowhere says:

I was reading intently until I saw #6.

Any woman who insists that I need to “get closer to god” is is a woman I don’t need in my life. As a Satanist I can tell you that you don’t need to mindlessly follow the commands written in an archaic tome to be a good person. Simply make it a point to always do right by those who do right by you and, for those who are strangers to you, set an example by your actions toward them.

In this way, your wife would feel safe in the knowledge that when push comes to shove, you will do what is morally right even when it is not the “path of least resistance”. Remember: words are well and good, but it is our actions that ultimately define us.

27. Mike says:

What about the men that overdo the cologne ?? .. Come on guys .. just a light spritz is enough .. You do not have to use half a bottle so that your pungent odor lingers for the next 2 hours . Everywhere you touch and sit or stand smells of your cologne .. And I am a man so heck I know when a guy has overdone it with the cologne.. and my wife agree’s with me that too much is too much . and I have been married for 27 years so I must be doing it right …

28. Erwin says:

You are right. If you feel that you need to fill some part in mi case is prayer … she would love from me to go with her to the church to thank the Lord. I need to do it asap. Thanks for the advise